Equipment Delivery Charges

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just curious if anyone on here has any experience in buying a piece of equipment and having it delivered. I'd like to know a ballpark figure on how companies charge to deliver a dozer, backhoe, skid, etc... I haul my own equipment, but I'd like to have an idea what it would cost if I bought something far away.

I'd like to hear from someone who has had a machine delivered, and what they had to pay, along with what it was and app. how many miles the machine was shipped.

2. john_bud

john_bud LawnSite Member

If you have time, you can get a "back haul" and usually save bucks. I found a tractor loader hoe in MI and had it delivered to WI (350 miles) for a cost of 300. That was just a bit more than my expected fuel costs and was done on a larger trailer pulled by a F350 or F450 (can't remember).

I found the haul on the hauling section on www.ytmag.com. There are other places that are similar.

If you contract to haul it as a direct load, it will cost 3/mile or so. Depends on the size of the equipment and all. My TLB was only 22' long and 10k.

hope that helps a bit.
    jb

3. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

Last summer I had a 44,000# excavator hauled from Flint MI to just south of Canton OH, and it cost me $1,200. I believe it was about 380 miles. It pays to check around, as I had several quotes of almost $2000, and many in between.

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

o.k. first the wide load question...now this...what are you up to:laugh:

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Think Dozerman is scheming.

I will say that the price is likely to be all over the map. I have gotten quotes that varied by 3 thousand when I shipped a 50 ton tag trailer from NC. Make a lot of calls. I found a company here in Idaho that I have been using almost exclusively. They have been giving me great prices.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A 50 ton tag huh? You pull that behind the 5500? :laugh:

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is getting late. It was a 25 ton trailer or 50K pound capacity. Pull it with a dump truck.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I figured

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

When i got my D6R from your state it was around 650 miles to here and the cost was $2400 dollars.At the time i needed the machine so didn't do a lot of checking around.

I think the name of the outfit was Pointdexter ?????,they should be close to you I'm thinking.I let the guy selling the machine line up the transportation,but have done a lot more researching since then.

Got a lady(broker) from KSSS state that does hauling to haul a D6R dozer blade to me from Oregon.That was $1200 dollars,so trucking something isn't cheap by no means:rolleyes:.

Also there was permits that needed to be gotten ,so some of them are $100 dollars plus if your oversize(width),when going through other states.They add up,especially if your travel through several states.

Good luck:usflag:

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

seems to run $2 to $3 a mile at current fuel prices