Equipment dilemmas.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dave80, May 31, 2003.

1. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

Ok, so this is my first post, but I have read quite a bit over the past month or so. Next year I will be going from part-time to full-time, and have a good plan to at least double my current customer base. Anyway, I need to get a good backpack blower and a good pair of hedge trimmers. For a weed trimmer, I have a Stihl FS85RT and I know what people are talking about with the hard starts, but its not that big of a deal, usually only takes me 3 pulls and once its warmed up it runs great. Now for the questions. From what I have been reading, most people think that Echo or Redmax is the way to go for the blower, and I have also read good things about the Redmax hedge trimmers. The only problem for me w/ Redmax is that the nearest dealer is 40 miles away. I have a Stihl dealer (if i go w/ Stihl hedge trimmers) that I is about 1/4 mile from my apartment and an Echo dealer about 8 miles away. Is the equipment close enough in quality that a 40 mile drive vs. an 8 mile drive plus any applicable downtime would not be justified.

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had Stihl equipment for years and it still works as good as when I first bought it. Never a difficult start problem here, maintenance you know, good gas, correct oil mix. But for going full time, don't know how 'everyday' reliable it might be. It's just always struck me as 'HD Homeowner'.

Have just purchased a complete line of the newest John Deere hand tools and am very pleased with every piece of it.
    Pricing seems to be a toss up no matter what brand, equal duty, equal price. Think the mfg's must all have lunch together.

Convenience should be a MAJOR factor in your decision making. It can mean the difference between a few minutes making an emergency equipment run and half a day or more.

Like to hear more about your expansion game plan when you have time.
    Good luck

3. I have 3 Stihl trimmers.

HS 45 (18' double side cut)

HS 85 (30' single side cut)

HL articulated 24' double side attachment for the FS 85

I like the HL very well. It seem so well balanced with the engine on the opposite end from the cutter. I use it every time and the other two only occasionally.

If I had only one trimmer it would be the HL attachment.

Dave