1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment enough to make it work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I've been part time for 6 years and started with a $99 MTD loaded into the trunk of my car. Every year or so I upgraded my mower and finally last year bought a 36 in. Snapper belt drive 14HP Kaw walk behind which I load into my truck with foldable ramps. I'm going full time this year. How many guys went full time or are full time with a 36in. walk behind, trimmer and blower? How much mowing are you able to do a week? I have 20 residentials carry over from last year and will be targeting those this season. I will be adding a Proslide to my walk behind this year also.
    Any feedback greatly appreciated! As always THANKS for all your help!
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I think eveyone will tell you that circumstances vary and so do properties. There is no real answer anyone can give you. Why don't you figure how long it takes to do those 20 and then decide what you can handle. Some may say add 30 more (at 5000k) and others may say add 10 more (at 3 acres). Can you figure this after using the 36" mower last year ?

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't own a W/B other than my 21", but isn't that 36" going to be to light to pull a Proslide? From what I have read here, it seems like a 48" would be the smallest you would want to use unless you are extremely light. If I was starting out again knowing what I know now, I would get a 60" ZTR and keep the 36" for small gated lawns, unless all your lawns are small. I just feel a 36" Belt Drive is to small for a Proslide, but I could be wrong. ;)
  4. Dillon

Dillon LawnSite Member

I started with a 36''Bunton belt drive and a Proslide. I used it for 2 years with out a problem other a little extra wear on the belts, but that was more than worth it. I now use them a on Scag 36" belt drive and a 48" Hydro. I will have to replace belts this year, but thats after 2 seasons and alot less walking. By the way I weigh about 155 during the summer. I would'nt use anything but a Proslide, but watch your shins that board can be brutal. Sorry I can't remember how many I did when I started with a 36 but going full time you should be able to double what you were doing now. Good Luck!
  5. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on the Proslide. I started a new thread regarding 36in W/B and Proslide and also e-mailed the company directly. I liked the Proslide because it won't leave the extra wheelmark.