equipment for church/school use?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by jsf343, Aug 2, 2014.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

on top of my landscape business I am a maintenance coordinator for a church/school and I just had a few questions regarding sealing parking lots and sidewalks as we want to buy our own equipment. We don't want overkill, but don't want junk equipment either as it will get used every year. so a few questions...

1. we have 3 fairly good sized parking lots, I am looking for something that is big enough (but not some giagantic set up) to crack coat and seal coat these lots, is there a good and dependable machine that will do both? I was told a "sealpup II" (from Sealmaster) would be a good machine because it can spray the seal coat and still hit cracks with the change of the tip. I like the sounds of this due to versatility. is this a great machine though?

2. I was also trying to find something to fill sidewalk cracks as well as the parking lot cracks, again was told by sealmaster that an MA10 is a good machine, but I have seen from some comments its not that great, and don't think it would do clear patch for sidewalks. Is there something to fill concrete cracks for sidewalks? we have quite a few sidewalks so it would be nice.

anyway, don't want to come on here and overload people with questions, I am researching like crazy but thought I would ask the experts.

thanks for the help!

2. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Northern tool has some pretty decent sealcoat machines for a reasonable price and not like way overkill. You may want to look at them as an option.

3. jsf343

I actually did see a trailer mounted tank with Northern tool, don't know much about the parts being used though. price seemed pretty decent too but not sure if it would cover the various items we need to hit (asphalt, concrete sidewalks and crack filling).

4. jsf343

171 views but nobody has anything? no thoughts on the Sealpup II?

5. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

Sorry. I'm as curious as you are.

6. ddlandscaping

ddlandscaping LawnSite Member
    Male, from poconos of pa

maybe try to find a good used trailer mounted system, like a 550 gallon tank etc, hydraulic agitation goes a long wayyyyyyyy. Sand pup system I think would be way to small for what your doing, plus no work deck

7. jsf343

well I thought I would get more of a response but guess not? does anybody know of a good seal-coat forum (don't see much on Google) so I can take my questions there and get some info?

8. Dintlow

Dintlow LawnSite Member

The good forum has been gone for awhile now.
    What you want doesn't exist. The sand pup will spray sealer for your lots but the crack filler it is capable of applying is cold pour. You want a hot pour kettle.
    Buy the MA-10 for the cracks in the parking lot. I've never seen a clear crack filler for concrete but I've never looked for it either.
    The Northern Tool seal rig is not agitated. I would stay away from it. Look for a used seal rig at the end of the sealing season. You should find a few to choose from then. 300 gallons minimum or 550 if the jobs are far away from the sealer supplier. You can get by with hand agitation if you are only using it a few times a year.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. jsf343

awesome, thanks for the info that helps a lot. So in your opinion the cold pour is not as solid of a product as hot? doesn't last as long? last question...where do you find the best selection of used rigs, craigs list or is there a website?

10. richsealcoating

richsealcoating LawnSite Member

First what type of sealer are you planning on using? If coal tar emulsion sealcoat every 2-3 years at the earliest not every year.

Second will you use sand in your sealer? If so it would benefit to have a full sweep agitation unit but necessary.

Most likely for your sealer if only on your own property a basic trash pump set up will do. That is what you see from northern tool.

Seal rite sells the portabe (the pup) pump which can handle sealer and cold crackfill only. Ma 10 is for hot and not suitable for your walk ways (can be way to messy)
    Posted via Mobile Device