Equipment for cleanups.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro36, Aug 20, 2006.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering what you guys use for fall cleanups.

Right now I have...
    Toro 21'' super reclyer /w bagger
    Cubb commercial hand held blower
    Echo trimmer with edger attachment

Thinking about getting..

36'' w/b with bagger
    echo back blower
    billy goat w/b blower

I may rent a w/b blower instead of buying.

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think the walkbehind with a bagger is a good idea. There are all kinds of things to spend your money on for leaf cleanups.

The good thing about the 36 is you can use it for mowing in the summer too. I like the idea of buying things that'll make me money in a number of ways.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. metro36

I was thinking that about a 36'' to.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would say get the 36 w/bagger. Also get the back pack blower. Depending on the size of properties I would wait on the w/blower. Just my .02
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The onlything bad about a bagger on a walkbehind is that it wont have much capacity and you end up spending more time dumping then if you just used a blower and blow them to the curb or woods. But then again that depends on the size of the lots you are cleaning and the leaf load on the lawn also.

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Yep you are right. I should have clarified my post by what you posted. I was thinking the bagger could be used after the majority of the leaves were picked up.

So I would invest in some tarps as well, in case you need to drag to the curb.
  7. metro36

I forgot to mention that the lots are 1/2 and 1 acre. The lots have a lot of oak and maple trees. Most of the crap leaves in the fall for about a month. Some of the lots have tall hedges and others have many plant beds.
    I cannot blow leaves into woods because most lots are back to back. I also own many tarps and a few garbage cans for bringing leaves to the truck.
  8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

If you can go every week to clean up the yard you can put a mulch kit on the WB and turn the leaves to dust. If you have to clean all the leaves up after they fall then you will have a very hard time bagging or mulching them with a 36" WB. I don't know thick the leaves will be after they all fall but I would definitely a lot for that.
  9. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what kind of investment you are looking to make, but if you have truck that can handle it and you have alot of cleanups to do, you should buy a leafloader (even used), you will absolutely be glad for this purchace as it saves a ton of time and back breaking labor. A good w/b mower and backpack blower with the loader and you should be able to handle any cleanup. Good luck and work smarter not harder
  10. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the money just get the 36" walkbehind I'm guessing a metro. Great mower by the way, love mine. Yeah just get that and an Accelerator catcher with an extender should do the job pretty well.