Equipment for hurricane relief??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ford2000, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

I have to ask a question since you guys sound like you know where to buy or lease equipment.What i am looking for is a truck with a 12ft flatbed dump and a midsized JCB or machine like a JCB that i could hook a root grapple to.
    What i would like to do is rent,lease this equipment for hurricane relief.
    I really do not know how long the lease would be but,where should i look?
    Thanks

2. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Do you plan on taking this equipment down south and do the work yourself, or be a middle man and rent out the equipment?

3. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

I will be doing the work myself with a couple of men.

4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if it would be worth going down. A company in my home town went down, spent quite a bit of money to get the equipment and men down their, and were pretty much sent straight back home.

5. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

That company went down to early.They just started taking bids two weeks ago.We have been doing hurricane relief and one of my friends is in charge of getting crews together for a big company.To tell you the truth,i have equipment to bring down but,i'd rather leave it working in new york and lease the equipment to bring down.We could be working there for years.I'll eventually buy the equipment if everything goes ok.

6. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Any tips on finding some winter work and maybe a little info on the pay?

7. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

Before you take rental equipment to Louisiana, you may want to understand the ownership laws of the state. I don't claim to know them well, though I have heard stories of contractors going down with rental equipment, and the equipment finding itself elsewhere. Those situations did have to do with ownership and possession. I don't believe Mississippi and Alabama have those issues.

I suggest buying a used (you will have difficulty getting anyone to perform warranty on new) machine (then you own and have possession), and reselling it if you do not need it for your company's use after you are done. You would want to take your own spare parts, and also find out where the dealers are for the machines you are taking (trucks too).

If you do go down, you do not want to go down without a contract with your companies name on it. You could also go down with a FEMA approved company, but again, not without a contract.

8. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

To tell you the truth the majority of the equipment is rented trucks,loaders,generators,compressors.No one wants to run there equipment 12 hours a day for who knows how long especially this one,it could be years.
    As far as buying equipment i'm pretty much tapped right now until my business loan is paid off which is another year, i didn't check in to it but,I do not think i would be able to buy big.