Equipment for Paver Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stidrvr, Jun 20, 2008.

1. stidrvr

stidrvr LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I was wondering what I could get to install/reinstall some brick pavers for edging? I would just be renting this as this would be the only time that I would use it. We have some pavers along the house that arent all that straight and level. Im looking for something to create the base for the pavers to sit on. I know the rental company has a "Bed Edger" but im not sure if thats what I need. We also just had our fence installed and are going to be doing some landscaping along that as well, along with replacing the black plastic edging in the front of the house. Here are some pics of the back yard only because its a proven fact that people like pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if I understand your question completely but...if you are going to lift and replace/level some of the light colored stones that line the bed near the house, you don't need to rent anything.

I would take the stones out, set it a base of gravel/screenings/sand and compact with a hand tamper or other available heavy object (even a board and sledge hammer will work for this case) then set the stones/pavers. I assume that in WI where you are, you get a good dose of winter, which means heaving and for a single line of pavers/stones like you have, there is almost no way of creating a suitable base to eliminate that.

In an ideal world, you could put in a 6" to 8" deep base of gravel that extends 6" to 8" into the bed and the lawn and then lay the stones on that, but that isn't really practical and even then it may not work to well.

3. stidrvr

stidrvr LawnSite Member

I was hoping to use the "bed edger" to create a level surface to lay the pavers on. And yes directly on the ground. When I did the patio, I used 9" of compacted screens and it still shifted over winter. This is the reasoning behind going right on the ground because the extra effort and tear up out weigh the benefits. I was hoping by using the "bed edger" starting off with a level and straight base (vs. using a shovel and rubber mallet) would minimize movement.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to go rent a shovel!!!!