Equipment for spraying large areas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PB34, May 15, 2006.

1. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

Just curious, what equipment do you guys use to spray large lawn areas?

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

4. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We use the prolawn shielded sprayer on a grasshopper mower.

Works well in Oklahoma, wind is a big issue here.

www.prolawnsprayshields.com

the model is EZTFM132
    we also have the ESC52, it is a walk behind, battery powered.

with eztfm132 we can do an open acre in approx. 15 mins.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use a DC-21 New Holland Tractor. I have two three point hook-up sprayers. One is a 110 gal tank with a 25 foot boom. The other has a 65 gal tank with a 18 foot boom. I spray about 5 gal/acre and go 5.5 mph. I also have a 25 hp Simplicity that I use 50 gal sprayer with a 11 foot boom. This also has a three-point hook-up.

6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

...yeah if you want to spend 8000 to treat a lawn. Lot of guys adapting spreaders and sprayers to mowers with quick connects.....like Im doing.

You can build a nice low volume sprayer as good as a PG or Z spray and fab it on a ztr for about 700 dollars. That includes a spreader as well.

In this business and with the price of these power units you better take advantage of multiple use. Those PG/Zspray machines are 8000 dollar fertilizer spreaders.....

Im sure the industry is loving all the granular product being used with these new machines and their widespread use. More product going down by far...and a lot more granular as opposed to cheaper liquid apps that were standard.

Whos pulling who's chain here.....

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i work for a, well to keep it safe, a real tight a$$.. i have 8 accounts to spray that are 500k +, and one that is 1.8m k that i draged hose all over the place my first year.. needless to say, i bought my own PG ultra and use it on all the accounts now... (he does pay good, so i'm still their) as for the z-spray, it would most likley do better, but since i was buying out of pocket, i went w/ a used PG. i do have several issues w/ the z-spray, 1. the booms would have to go 2. i cant see spreading 24' to 4', i think that there are alot of lawns getting short-cut by this (you would need to recalibrate for each distance in width, which many employees will not do). the PG is all pre-set and ready to go (and it's in-expensive to fix).

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

killswitch..
    cheaper liquid apps?? i'm going away from liquid because it's so $$$$. NBN (slow release N) is out of this world, their forcing everybody to go granular. now if your using Urea, then i guess that liquid is still cheaper.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If the property is 5,000 sq ft or larger, I can always get it done faster with the Permagreen versus pulling hose. The all liquid option might be cheaper but the time you save makes up for it. For me, the very small lawns are faster just pulling the hose.

Time is money. So on any particular lawn you use the fastest method available to you.

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I agree, and if I didn't have a power unit already I'd want a PG, but for guys with the Z's if they are savvy there are many available options for building a good quality sprayer/spreader as an add on to these albatross mowers.

The PG's are pretty cool though....since they got them figured out. I rode what might have been one of the first ten sold.

lol....they were trouble inthe early days.