1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

equipment for starter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dixie88, Nov 14, 2002.

1. dixie88

dixie88 LawnSite Member

I am in the process of pricing equipment and getting everything ready to go. I plan to gradually leave my current job as my lawn service accounts increase.
    A nearby equipment dealer sells: Toro, Echo, Scag and a Japanese make. If you guys could tell me what would be best for the new lawn business I would appreciate it. I would like to purchase high-quality equipment from the start so that I will continue to use it far down the road. I have worked for lawn care services in the past and am familiar with the scag w/b, the Toro w/b and the Toro Z ZTR. As far as money goes....I would like to get toughest, most durable and most powerful(?) edger, blower, trimmer etc. For these things i will pay what I must. As for the mower, I think maybe a $2500 w/b will be a better investment than a $6000 Ztr, for the simple fact that I will eventually need a 36" for gates and such anyway...right? Also, what are good dimensions for a open air trailer?
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are just starting out, then a WB may be the best option. For the trailer, you will want at least 16' with brakes on at least one axle. Many will tell you that their handheld equipment is best, if I had to say, I would say Echo or Redmax. Buy what is close to you and from a dealer you trust.
  3. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

If I was you, I would get the SCAG mowers. I love em, havent had any problems with them. Some people say that they have problems getting SCAG to stand behind thier warranty, but I never have, they have always been more than willing and very helpful to me. I have a 48inch SCAG belt drive WB that is the original mower for A&A Lawn Service. Its three years old now, got well over 1500 hours on it, and it still is just as good as it was when brand new. SCAG makes the toughest mower out there, I dont think many people would argue that. Its a great mower.
    I would reccommend Echo 2-cycle equipment. Its some darn good stuff. Never had any problems with my Echos.
    Get a good truck, diesel definately, either Ford or Dodge, preferably Ford. :D
    Do high quality work, and good luck! I wish you all the best!

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

no, no no eXmark is the best and Stihl is the best! :ROFLMAO:...
    It's all good!
    Try them all and go from there...
  5. Swampbeast

He he he! We could really get into this, and argue about it all day long, but really the deciding factor is how good your dealer support is. Exmark, Walker, SCAG, Dixie Chopper, Toro, Lesco, Bobcat, they are all the same. But SCAG is better! :D (sorry Bushhogboy, couldnt resist)

6. Stick with the 21" push mowers. They will not tear up the truff and leave them nasty looking stripes like the bigger mowers do. Many of times I have had to educate the client of how their current lawn service was destroying their grass with their unprofessional stripes. Just let the customer know that you will use a 21" pusher and not ruin their lawn with stripes. Once you educate the customer and let them know that you will go the extra mile as to not ruin their expensive lawn with grass killing stripes you will be on the path to success.
  7. Swampbeast

Eh?! Nasty lookin stripes? Huh? I dont ever hurt my lawns with my big mowers, now if your a dumb azz and dont know how to use one, then okay, I see your point. But my big mowers do a better job than the 21 inchers. Its just common sense, these big mowers arent rocket science.
    I am not sure I understand what your saying Chopique. Why dont you explain yourself a bit better?

8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

no, please don't ask him to explain himself. unless you want a laugh. but if all you want is humour, search his posts.
  9. Hey Bubble Boy, I see from your profile that you are only 27 years old. Don't you think that you are a little "wet behind the ears" to be thowing insults to the people that really know what cutting grass is all about?
  10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I use solely Echo two-stroke equipment. Reliable and it performs. Dealer backs it up too.
    As far as a mower goes you will get plenty of opinions but I feel they are all pretty similar and a matter of personal taste. Test drive a few different brands and you will find one you like. Just make sure it is from a dealer you can count on.

Best of luck with the new venture. I was recently in Tampa. You will have some competition but you also have sooooo many lawns. I am sure you will do fine.