Equipment getting WET/Rained on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, how many of you guys with open trailers load them up with equipment, attach the trailer to the truck, lock everything up and leave the whole setup over night and then it RAINS and everything gets wet.. Blower, mower, trimmer, etc.. All wet.

Is this "Super bad" for the equipment, "Not reccomended" or "I don't see a problem with it?"

My stuff isn't getting wet all the time, but I didn't unload the trailer tonight into the shed, now it's raining, .17 of an inch so far according to the weather report and more to come.

I have a basic trimmer, Redmax Blower and an Exmark Metro..

In one way, I guess it's time for a quick washing..

But can anything get damaged by the rain?

Thanks!

Nervous,
    Gary

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Some stuff will rust like the mufflers especially. I dont think it's terrible for the equipment but I dont like it. That's part of the reason I got an enclosed trailer.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks,
    I think I gotta work out a system with at least a tarp with anchor points.. Just tight enough to cover the equipment and anchor down to the sides of the trailer so that everything stays dry, even in a rain..

It's gonna pour here tommorow.. Maybe I'll work on that. <G> :)

Can't do leaves for sure..

Gary

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't leave it out all the time, but a little rain shouldn't hurt it. I don't leave my trimmers or blowers out in the rain, but I do leave the mowers on the open trailer sometimes. I usually throw a tarp over the control panel on the WB and the recoil on the 21 incher. I have had trouble with wet wires on the WB. It will take several seconds to turn off after the key is turned to off. I just pull the connectors on the wires and let them dry.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

My 6.5 x 16 wont fit fir in my garage so it sits outside in the elements. If I know we are going to get a decent rain here then I put my equipment in my garage or cover the trailer with a tarp. My equipment has gotten rained on lots of times. The muffler(s) have rust on them and some of the metal parts do to, but not bad. I think the bad thing about leaving equipment out in the weather is over time the electricals get moisture in them and over a long period of time will go bad, like short out. Also make sure your gas cans have caps on them. Happened to me a couple of times, no caps, got water in the gas. Even just a few drops make the engine run bad.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree its best to cover. but the dealers around here leave the whole fleet out in the rain ,if it comes a storm. some 2 cycles dont take to rain to well tho.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I would not buy anything from a dealer who leaves there equipment out in the weather. I want new equipment not weathered (used).

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 30x40 pole barn I stick my trailer in 95% of the time, for the rain/snow, but there alot of crime in my county, like breaking and entering because there alot of cabins around the many lakes we have. I'm 800'+ off the road and have people drive all the way back to ask a stupid ?, why did'nt they just go to the house 50' off the road?, their (in my mind 9out of 10) checking whats going on back here, Thinking also putting electric gate up or sensor.
    Well anyways a little off the subject, but ya I try to keep my equipment out of the rain, been thinking of canopy, and maybe considering a enclosed trailer.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My equiptment stays out in the rain for the most part. Aside from some rust no problems so far, knock on wood. I'm sure it's not the best thing to do but I have nowhere to store it. I guess I should tarp it.