1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

equipment ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrha18017, Nov 19, 2001.

1. mrha18017

mrha18017 LawnSite Member

what type of equipment will i need to have a successful grasscutting buisness.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Get the best commercial equipment you can afford. Get a good used mower instead of a new Home Owner type if you can't afford a new Commercial unit. Same with trimmers, get the best you can, but commercial.

If you go to the Lawnsite Links on my Website, you can just click on all these different brands to find thousands of replys on this same topic of equipment.

Click this or down below on any post I've done. www.elmlawnsite.com
  3. I AGREE with eric always get commercial ,the homeowner type of machine just dont hold up like commercial.Ive lerned this the hard way.As far a brands go dixie chopper ,exmark and gravely and scagg are good brands although ive been down on the scagg turf tiger . shindawa sthil and tanaka are excellant two cycle blowers trimmers and sthil makes great chain saws
    I hope everything does great in your business venture
  4. Commercial grade equipment. The home owner 2 cycle stuff does not have piston rings nor bearings on the crank. Bent shaft weed eater tend to not last as long as the strait shaft, and also spin in the oposite direction.

There are many brand of 2 cycle stuff than mentioned on this thread. Get what you can afford that are made for commercial aplacations. Also keep in mind when you go buy it that you want to get one with enough power to handle the jobs. If you don't the lower powered ones could cost you money in the long run.

Mowers: don't waiste you $ or time on home owner stuff. They can not handle or endure the riggours of commercial use. There are other brands than mensioned on this thread. Also you will want to get one with enough power to handle the jobs. Time is money in the line of work.

Truck: heavy duty. Diesel will pay for it self in the long haul.

Trailer: buy one big enough to handle any growth in the LCO. EG: a 5X8 can hold most size mowers but that's it, one mower.

If you have figured out that this industry might require you to get heavy duty equipment. Start looking and pricing, then go figure what you will need. Get accounts. get finances. get the correct equipment the first time. Find your over head. find your costs. then your set.

Don't forget to pay taxes and get Insurance.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. In the first place, not to sound too harsh or anything, but if you're looking to get into the "grass cuttin' business", then all you need is a pushmower that has all four wheels, a good broom,(optional) and a decent stationwagon. Or, if you want to do it right, perhaps even a pickup truck. (A little jap model will do, because that's all them thar "grass cutters" really need.)

Now, if you are interested in entering the green industry, and going into professional grounds maintenance, then come talk to me. I'll be happy to answer any and all questions you have.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just curious . most folks who decide to get in this buisiness
    allready have the basic equipment,and have been working
    side jobs mowing. not meaning to get in your buisiness but
    was wondering what made u decide to become an lco.
    later now
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is my advice.

Although I totally agree with everyone on buying the commercial grade equipment, I personally do not recommend to you to go out and spend $20,000+ or more on equipment plus truck right away.

My first question would be to you: How long have you thought this out? Are you sure you are capable of working in the heat, long hours, physical work every day, etc. ? How serious are you about this?
    If you have never done this type of work before besides mow your parents lawn or your neighbors, believe me it is not the same.

As Eric mentioned, I would consider buying used commercial grade equipment so you can get your feet wet first in the business, before you sink a ton of money into something that you may not really enjoy.
  8. mrha18017

a buddy and myself just thought of the idea not to long ago.a fella i work worth says u can make some big bucks. i've done the groundskeeping before for an apartment complex for about a year . i also framed houses for a little while so i can do the physical work.
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Build your arsenal slow. Start with a piece of equipment you are going to use most of the time. Don't buy a 61" walk behind, if you are not going to cut lawns that are large enough to stripe. I would buy used first too.

Good luck.
  10. mrha18017

what size mower would you suggest??????