equipment in rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HLM86, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I have stihl weedeaters, edger, hedger, and blower. They have all been left out on the trailer and caught in the rain a couple of times. Will this damage the equipment in any way if only done a couple of times? Thanks.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

when i first started out i was real worried about this, but then realized its almost impossible to kill a stihl. my first fs80 ran 6 years b4 dying and ran strongest at the end. its best if you do try and protect them from rain and the elements, but the occasional t storm wont hurt them. my first bg85 still runs after falling off a deck railing couple of times, roof once, ran over by school bus once (intersting story how that happened), t storms, and WTF mother nature could throw at it, it still runs stronger than any echo ive ever seen. its all faded and taped together, but it runs!

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Won't hurt them but won't help them either. I don't store my equipment outside but we all been caught in the rain

4. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

It is best to store all your equipement out of the elements. We all have gotten hit by a rain storm while we were out working. If my stuff gets wet I make sure it is dry (usually by blowing it off real good with my Redmax blower) when I store it. Remember, this equipement is how we make our money. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Just my two cents worth,

5. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

go buy a $2.00 tarp. silly question sorry.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

A can of WD40 would be a great thing to have when this happens. I had the throttle cable stick on the hedge clippers when they got rained on. Plus, the WD40 chases the water away from electrical parts and connections.

7. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Hey Russ :waving: were you been hiding boy :sleeping:
    Have ya visited the Aussie forum at the other lawn forum yet??

8. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

A little water ain't gonna hurt anything in my experience..... but I'll echo the problem with throttle cables on blowers and such. Now, I can't say what will happen if you set you wacker down under the gutter at your house....

The real danger is storing your recently drenched equipment in a place that it will not be able to evaporate quickly. The wind and sun dry things off so well, its so healthy for equipment to spend time outside in the breezy sunshine.

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah but what if your equipment is flooded from that damn storm.

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Tarp isn't a good idea unless you remove it after it rains. Water evaporates... it'll be hangin around under the tarp longer than a rain storm.