Equipment input needed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4curbappeal, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying a Hustler walk behind and would like any of your professional opinions! I have my walk behind narrowed down to the Hustler Trim Star Hydro 36 WB $3700.00 or the Trim Star Gear Drive 36 $2600.00. I am a small 1 person opreation (12 lawns a week) with a few extremely picky clients. Should I spend the xtra $ for the hydro? Thank you everyone for your input!

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

YES! You will not stay a 12 lawn operation and the hydro will make you more effecient and cut down on fatique. Just replaced my four year old belt drive wbs with hydro and wonder why I did not start out with them.

3. 4curbappeal

Thank you! I have a FT job (Realtor w/ flexible hours), but would like to get bigger in the next couple of years. Money is an issue, but probably worth the extra investment! Thanks again!

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a real good price on that machine. Don't know what type of properties you mow but to give you an idea on time saving by switching to hydro, I cut my mowing time by a third. Heck after replacing the 36 with hydro I just left the 48 belt at home as the 36 hydro out produced the 48 belt even on the larger properties.

5. 4curbappeal

I will mainly have properties 1/2 ace and less. 3 properties are right at an acre. Thanks again for the input! Feel free to add anything.

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Once you run a hydro you will never want to go back to belt drive. Much smoother controling and reverse is at a touch of your fingers not like a belt drive stopping completely to shift into reverse.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Get the hydro

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

GO HYDRO...Last spring I did lots of research on belt vs. hydro before I bought my 36" walkbehind. I went hydro and I believe the extra maneuverability and speed will help pay for the extra cost quicker. Dollar amount set aside, the hydro is just less frustrating to use. Plus, a hydro will be better for the future if you increase the amount of clients you have.