Equipment knowledge, what to do?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Iculukn, May 10, 2005.

1. Iculukn

Iculukn LawnSite Member

First off, Hi. Like your site, lots of info.
    I'm the other guy...the one who goes to Lowes and grabs a Troy Built 4 cycle weedeater ($194) and attachment brush cutter ($69) to handle the yard work of my property, about 2 acres. Most done by my little L130 JD, but about 1/2 an acre is wet all the time and I've got it almost cleared now. French drains will come later I guess.
    Anyway, 28 days later I take it back with a cut off switch not working and striped gears in the head. I buy a Cub Cadet 2 cycle ($164) from them, "commercial quality" ;)
    Ok, two weeks later, I take it back with a broke trigger switch.

Now I'm hanging out on your site trying to educate myself so I can buy something that'll last. Any help is most welcome as the dealers web sites are not helping. I'm reading up on the following and want to spend less than $300:
    Tanaka, John Deere, Stihl, Shindaiwa or Echo, about that order to, except tanaka gave me a brochure from 1998 and wants to sell me something that's not on tanaka's web site, maybe it's last years model.

I understand your all professionals in the business and I hope your advice is vast. I’ve been US Army for over 20 and learning to care for my first home and yard.
    -lukn

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

redmax is worth a look also. any of the brands you mentioned would be good. I would slide to the stihl/ echo/ redmax side, but I doubt you will find a stihl for $300 or less. Echo and redmax are both good brands and have trimmers in your price range. Look at them first.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There are plenty of good commercial models that are under $300. Redmax, Shindaiwa, etc.

Not sure how "hard" you'll be using yours, but you may even want to look into a Robin. I just bought one on ebay for $130 + $20 for shipping. These are brand new. It's a 20cc engine, which is only 1cc less then my Redmax and Shindaiwas.
    Plus it's incredibly light! It's considered a "light commercial model". So for a homeowner that is only doing their lawn once a week or so, it should do just fine.

Also, it comes blade capable (brush blade), whereas my Redmax and Shins required me to spend more money to get special hardware to make them blade capable.
    Just something to consider. Search eBay.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa t-230 (now t-231) $275. Great trimmer I have had it for 2 years.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You May want to look at the Stihl a little closer I have at least 4 models in my showroom for under 300.00, Two of these are full commercial grade stright shaft units. From a service standpoint I've had great luck with them.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to LS, a stihl at my dealer is around 340 and a echo long shaft is 269 and the curved shaft is 169. I have owned both echo and stihl and have had good luck with both. Echo here is usually a bit cheaper. Also a special thanks to ALL our military personel for what you do and have done! If it were not for you folks could not even be doing what we are.

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I know these arnt on your list but if you can, check them out. I'm talking about Kawasaki. Im in Australia so prices may vary but have found them to be cheaper than Shindiawa and Sthil.
    There full commercial quality, light and very powerfull. Even my lowest 25cc I think it is can do real brush cutting with heavy line.
    I have a 25, 27 and a 48cc.

Excellent machines.

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The brands you mention are all fine, the most important thing is to find a good dealer who will help you with the equipment. This is not easy to do. Ask people / neighbors in your area about where they go. Also some of the guys here on LS may know of dealers around you.

Spending less then $300 for a trimmer and attachments might be tough.

9. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl FS55 that I bought a couple of years ago for $220. It's a straight shaft trimmer and it works very well on my 2 acre property. My dealer said it was the top of the line residential model/entry level commercial model, for whatever that's worth. All I know is it works for me.

My late Grandfather had a 100 acre Christmas tree farm on the side of a mountain. Before he died he had grown Christmas trees for 50+ years and he swore by Stihl trimmers and chain saws. He had the models with the steel brush blades. He would mow between the rows with a walk behind Gravely and use the trimmers in between the trees. Those trimmers were run hard all summer long year after year and they were bullet proof.

10. Iculukn

Iculukn LawnSite Member

Tvov-I agree. Although I liked the Tanaka TBC 2211 for $247.32,
    1) it's not listed on Tanaka web site
    2) The place is dirty and nasty and all chained smoke while talking to me. No offense if you smoke, but I don't care for it in my face while looking at spending over $200. When I was walked back to the assembly room, Oh My Gawd! Guys, I've got friends in the mechanical business and last thing they do, end of day, is clean up! It was very nasty and just looking over the equipment my hands became covered in dirt.
    Tvov-I called a Stihl dealer and was offered a FS55 = $199 and FS80 = $289. I may go have a look.

Once I drove up the road to John Deere, all equipment was out and ready for me to touch and everything was clean and professional looking. I do not mind getting my equipment covered in dirt nor myself, but I would not buy a new Dodge covered in dirt!

Mickhippy-I love Kawasaki and just recently sold my 04 ZX10R. Part of retiring from Army and buying a home, it just had to go for now. Most dealer's around here do not stock outdoor equipment, less I'm looking at wrong place?

QualityLawnCare4u-Thank you! It's been a hard road to travel, nuff said. Not sure if Echo is available in local area, will look into that too

restrorob-per the above, most defiantly looking into them

lawncare3-5 dealers within 20 miles came up

gogetter-if I can't find a dealer in local area, I will not consider. Been tuff on stuff so far. Maybe I should take a few pics to give and idea of what that one peace of land looks like. Once I find the darn springs and divert through some drains, fill in low spots and sod, it'll be John Deere area's. But for now, it's weed eater time

Appalachian landscape-per above, less than $300 on two models. Are they really that good? The name keeps coming up, "Stihl"

Sorry if to long...you have all been most helpful, thank you-lukn