1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment: Large Jobs, Most Productive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jgtxusa, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I usually do more reading than posting, but I need some input and curious what some of you might have to say. I always see the fellas on here that say they run a trailer with 3-4 ZTR's and all other sorts of machines. We do some of the larger properties in our area and never carry more than what I will list below. We run crews on larger properties than most of the companies in our area and half of them run a 72" or 61" or a few more ZTR's. The foremen on the 61,s never get off, but never complain. I just wonder if you guys see something more productive in having 3-4 ztr's than I do. We do rotate, but I have dedicated trimmer, edger, and floater men. Everyone blows afterward. It has worked out well, and seems like less dead time. Please come with some input or ideas on productivity and justify it. Thanks.

Ford 350 crew cab ps 3 Shin T261 1 Shin AH231 1 Shin DH231
    Black Enclosed Gooseneck 20' 1 Shin LE260 3 Shin EB 630 Stihl Saws
    Scag TT61 29DFIkaw Honda HRC216 for bagging 2 Toro 21's
    Scag sw36 15Kaw hand tools, lesco speader, 4 solo sprayers
    and a fat water jug
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Productivity is having the mowing guys finish at about the same time the trim guys finish. Whatever equipement it takes to do that is the right combination.
  3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

72" zero turns are about as fast as you can get for wide open mowing. A pair of 72" can cut 60+ acres in an 8 hour day. Wide area mowers and bat wings behind tractors cannot keep up and don't cut clean when they try. Plus they leave much more to trim. A little round-up around poles,chain link fences etc helps cut trimming times, but too much round-up looks bad. I like stick edgers for edging(I can edge as fast as I can walk). Operator discharge chutes keep clipping off the pavement for faster cleanup times.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How many guys are on the crew? we run 2 so 3+ mowers would be a waste.
    Also I do a lot of 1/4 acre or less jobs so most don't see the Z.
    Our crews work with 3 objectives---#1 Safety---#2 Quality---#3 Production rate. In that order. I will use a mower that does a better job on the lot before I use a mower that cuts it the fastest.
    You have to determine what will work best for your company and your customer.
  5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a large property then buy a WAM and put out there. Both John Deere and Toro make great units and are very productive. I use to have a JD 1600 WAM and we loved it. 60 acres a day.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

A John Deere 1600 WAM has an 11 foot cut and will cut as good as your z-turn.
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Roger that.

It's tough to stop thinking of ways to improve one's business, and we shouldn't stop. On the other hand, if day-to-day operations are at peak performance, maybe we could think about:

1) Adding a truck/crew;
    2) Ways to cut costs rather than up production (same net effect on bottom line);
    3) Expanding the suite of services offered as a way to improve revenues, especially if other services can be offered without involving huge outlays for equipment;
    4) Joining the local Chamber of Commerce; or
    5) The things we do to keep our companies' names in front of customers and hone that down (newsletters are one example).