Equipment left out in the rain, snow, elements?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capecodlawn, Feb 13, 2008.

1. capecodlawn

capecodlawn LawnSite Member

I'm having some work done on my commercial 36" mower. I drive by the repair shop today and noticed my machine was outside behind the secured wire fence. He's had it for a week and told him no rush, so I imagine he will get to over the next few weeks, which is fine.

I'm just not crazy about the mower being outside, down on the Cape there is a lot of Salt in the air, and today the rain is coming down in buckets.

Am I being "sensitive" or do I have a viable gripe?

My equipment is always stored properly and well maintained, usually wipe it down if it even gets rained on.....

Thoughts? Thank you, CCL :confused:

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what shape he gives it back to you in

here we just got 8+" then a ton of rain

mine isn't shiny... but i would be pissy if it wasn't covered

if he cleans it up... maybe i wouldn't ***** to bad... if he's good i would buy a little tarp next time and give it to him

i do most of my own service but a good mechanic/shop is like gold here.

just my .02

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Both of my dealers leave my stuff sitting outside. I don't like the idea of it at all, but I really doubt complaining is going to get you anywhere. Probably just a pissed off dealer.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

inside sotorage space is expensive so if it not fixed and it is outside its ok once fixed then it would bother me, cuz if he cause the problem with water in gas he can fix it for free and if it done and you did not pick it up then you deserve it and most new machines are stored outside anyway

5. capecodlawn

capecodlawn LawnSite Member

The machine has yet to be serviced, he does a great job fixing my equipment. This machine is only a year old.

6. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I know of several shops in my area that leave equipment outside. I guess it's not that uncommon for dealers to do that. I personally use an enclosed trailer to keep my equipment out of the rain and snow. The only time it's been stored outside was when it was at a dealer waiting for repair. The dealer is a good dealer and they are very busy. I could see why my mower was left outside with the rest of them. I didn't like it but figured it was only for a short time so I let it go.
    In your case maybe you could explain to your dealer that you don't like for your equipment to sit outside in the weather. Explain to him that you understand that there's not always room to keep everything inside, but you would prefer your mower stays dry because you take good care of your stuff. If he has no room for your mower inside, then ask him if he could call you when he's ready to work on your mower. That way you can drop it off when he's ready for it and it won't be left outside for weeks in the rain and snow. If worded correctly, I don't think your dealer would be offended.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

at my dealer some stuff gets pushed outside during the day but all goes back in the shop at night.

8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Is that Dan's shop on 6A? He's got no space to store nevermind work on equipment. Well, the last time I was there was back in 2002!

I would be bent if someone was keeping my stuff out in the weather like that.

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a couple of dealers in this area that leave their mowers outside. No way I would spend my money on a machine that sits in the elements.