1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

??? Equipment life ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PMLAWN, Jul 15, 2004.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have been doing this for 3 years now and none of my stuff is wore out YET. Some is new this year.
    I am starting to do more large jobs (25 and 32 hours per week) and need to be closer with my overhead projections. Been searching and think that the 100 hour per HP (mowers) seems like a common answer but is that real and what about hand held stuff like trimmers. all my 3 year old stuff is 2 cyc. and the newer is 4 mix by Stihl.
    All maintenance is by the book,
    01 belt 48" Exmark 15hp Kaw
    (2) 03 belt 48" Exmark 15hp Kaw
    04 hydro 48"TThp 17hp Kaw
    04 hydro Proline 36" 15 kolher
    04 Toro 27 hp 60" 500 Kolher
    (2) Plugger 800 Honda 03
    (4) Echo 230's and 260's trimmers and edgers 01
    (3) Stihl 4 mix 04

I thank you for any help you may have to offer.
    Now if anybody can tell how many hours a 40something body has left that would be super.
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

My father used to have a business and I am using twenty year old push blowers. But I recently bought two new ones. Point being with proper care anyones equipment can last long.

P.S- how is that Exmark TTHP? looking at one now just wanna know how good they are,
  3. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Production is the word with the TTHP 48" It's a fantastic unit and if you haven't had a hydro mower, you'll kill yourself for not making the change sooner. We have the 17 hp Kawi w/ the electric start...just fits our needs better with the enclosed trailer.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

A common belief is that a commercial mower engine should last between 3500 - 5000 hours if properly maintained and not overly abused. Of course, it could then be overhauled and you could get more life out of it. As far as the rest of the components, like hydro pumps, etc., I dunno.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Regular Maintenance and a little TLC keeps it going.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work in small engine shop so I get to see a lot of machines day in and day out. I have seen 10 year old machines that looked brand new and I have seen brand new machines that looked 10 years old. It is all in how it is used and maintained

BmFD 92, the TThp is great. I get a great cut with them (always did with the Metro too) and I LOVE the hydro. Will never go back to belt. So much faster to use than the belt and it goes backward.

Strip this--- Yes elec start is the way to go with an enclosed trailer. My 36 is pull start and it can be a pain in the trailer, had to turn the recoil to pull over the tank. With the new contract I am getting a 52 walk and I think I will get the 23hp TT but what ever I get will be electric.
    Thanks for the replys guys.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3500-5000 hrs on an engine?
    Not usually.
    Even exmark won't go along with that.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My Lazer HP (19hp Kawi) has 1725 hours on it and is still going strong. (Knock on wood!)

10. PMLAWN

Thanks guys for the answers. Any help on the trimmer side. Does anybody out there have a lot of hours on a 4mix yet??