Equipment lifespan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oxmow, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what the usable lifespan of say trimmers, blowers, and mowers might be. I have read that it is 5 years, but how many hours does that translate to. I know it would be different for each type of equipment, from mowers to handheld stuff.
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

its all about how you treat your equipment, and maintenance ! ive had a mower that a freind of mine put over 1k hours on it, i owned it for over 5 years, and now a new lco has it, it still runs mint.... trimmers too, if you take good care of them and of course you dont buy junk to start with, they will last a long time, as far as blowers, they usually dont last very long, just because they are run wide open for long periods of time, what i usually do to get more time out of them is, when i buy a new blower i just use it for fall/spring clean up and use my old one just to blow grass in the summer, you dont need that much power to move grass clippings off walkways, so the fact that its not powerful anymore is not a issue... when that craps out, i switch the newer one again and through out the real old one.... if your looking for useable life span for tax reasons, i use 5 years...
  3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, this all sounds about right to me too.
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

About 3 years. Give or take a few years.
  5. Oxmow

Let me specify a bit more. I am looking for the lifespan in hours so I can figure it into my proposals. Something like 3 years = 2000 hours. So I can get an equation like 259.00/2000 hours = .13 per hour run.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i also do what scagwild cat suggests-i save my newer powerful blowers for fall and winter leaf cleanup work and use my old ones for summer grass cutting season. they last a long time this way. trimmers go first for me -about 3-5 yrs on avg.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's impossible for us to tell you how many hours you will put on machines in the average year. A mower can get 700 hours a season on it or only 50.
    You are the only one that can tell where that will be.......

It makes no difference how many years it will last if you know the cost of running that machine per hour. Typically a ztr runs from about $7/ hr. to $10 or $11/hr.
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I will run my diesels 5000 hrs. Then probably trade.
  9. Oxmow

I was just looking for hours in a lifespan. I think there has been a story in one of the pubs in the past about what the usable hourly lifespan is to figure how much to figure into overhead recovery. Thats what i'm looking for.