1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Lineup for 2012

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by a clear difference lawn, Dec 31, 2011.

1. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a 34 Gravely exclusively last season (I had 2 of them) and yes I struggled mightily at times to keep up. I had to work till dark on Sunday some weeks. I can already tell that the 52" is going to really help with productivity. Best case scenario would be to get a bigger trailer but I don't have that luxury due to limited space. Personally, I waited until I could use a bigger mower on at least half of my properties before pulling the trigger. I literally pulled out a tape measure at every account and worked it out. So far, I am very happy with the new mower.

2. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

That should be an awesome setup... with those 2 widths of cut you should be able to do every lawn efficiently. Not trying to talk you into anything here but your garage does look big enough to accommodate a slightly larger trailer. Nothing too big, but a 6x10 with a 3ft wide side ramp would allow you to fit the 34 sideways near the front of the trailer and leave you plenty of room for the 52. Only thing is the 21 might have to go in the truck bed. But since you live close to your lawns and schedule your days specific to what mower you use, a larger trailer plus the extra gas to tow it with might not be worth it in your case

3. lawnguy27

lawnguy27 LawnSite Member

What happened to the Grandstand?

4. a clear difference lawn

I traded the grandstand for the smaller gravely. The toro kept breaking down over and over. It was a total piece.

5. lawnguy27

lawnguy27 LawnSite Member

Oh that's interesting.

6. tbell

tbell LawnSite Member

I'm very new to this. I just have a question as to why you do 3 days with one mower and then switch up? Do you do maintenance on the mower you take out of service. Again, newbie trying to learn.

7. a clear difference lawn

In my case all my accounts are pretty close - so I put the bigger mower on every account it can reasonably fit. Accounts with small gates and large back yards or other access restrictions I use the small mower on. Yes - it also does help to have one mower down at all times for maintenance etc. Still trying to configure my garage to fit a bigger trailer - I just don't think it will happen.

8. FlemingIslandLawnService

FlemingIslandLawnService LawnSite Member

Did you paint your trailer's wheels or were they already black? Either way it looks really cool. I may just have to borrow that idea since my truck and trailer are black:)

9. a clear difference lawn

I painted them. The white just did not look good to me.

10. Z's Lawncare

Z's Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from 20683

how do you like your gravelys