Equipment Lock

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ma5tr, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

hello everyone!

I am in the progress of getting some devices to protect my skidsteer and compact excavator from theft. I found these guys while searching the net, they look pretty good...and I think I might get the skidsteer original lock and excavator lock. Just wanted to know if anyone had used or heard anything.

2. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I use the "Equipment Lock" line of locks....they are AWESOME! They can key all of your locks alike and they keep that info on file so if you decide later to buy more locks for different applications, they can do it to fit your existing key.

Very high quality and secure stuff!
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

They look awesome, I thought about getting locks for our skid steer and excavator.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If a thief want a machine they will find a way of taking it. Skid steers and mini excavators are easy to steal if they are in a spot where you can get beside them with a truck with a hiab or stinger crane on it. Pick the machine up put it on the truck off they go.

Those things are like the club you put on your car wheel. The best theft deterent device is a night switch with a removable key or a night switch hidden some where. You cut the power off the machine isn't going to start there is no easy way of jumping around the night switch.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get that done to a compact machine though? That's the problem, most of the manufacturer theft deterrents aren't available on compacts. Cat has that new key system, I think it's called the MTSS or something like that, it's basically like a car key, it has a microchip in it so you need them programmed. I guess if the system doesn't recognize the key trying to start the ignition is dead, eliminating a hotwire.
  7. Gravel Rat

A night switch eliminates the ground so when you turn the switch on you the battery has a ground you turn the switch off the ground is disconected.

Pretty much all older equipment has a night switch it prevents battery drain.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, if someone with any amount of operating experience knew this, they could just take their key and unlock the service door and turn the night switch back on. That is unless you had a differently keyed service door lock. That's the scary thing about equipment theft, anyone can buy a key for any machine.
  9. Gravel Rat

You put the night switch in the engine compartment somewhere where its semi out of sight but its close to the battery and you can still reach it.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way to stop them is add a Model T Ford coil and a remote qswitch, grounding the coil to the steel on the machine. When the metal is touched, they get a 50,000 volt .0009 amp shock and usually will run away. The only risk you have is if a theif is using a pace maker, because even with that voltage, it can stop the pacemaker and croak them off.