1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment longevity

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fulltime, May 11, 2007.

1. fulltime

fulltime LawnSite Member

Just curious, about how many seasons do you guys get out of your mowers trimmers etc.

I'm planning on buying a pre-owned Walker and in my budget I'm planning on getting 3-4 seasons out of it. I will be buying the mower from a local Walker dealer that services all pre-owned equipment in and out before they put a for sale sign on it.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is in reasonable shape and you keep it greased it will go longer than you expect. May need a new engine or hydro but the walker is built with grease points on everything and well designed. I bought a used 2000 and it has went 3 more years and all is well.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my oldest trimmer is 12 years old and runs better than the newer ones i bought to replace it. i now try sell mowers by 2000 hrs and upgrade to avoid unreliability even though they work great. my last had 2900 hrs and worked great when i sold it. my theory is pay upfront for reliability vs pay at the end for down time and repairs.
  4. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower is a walker? Are pawn shops good places to buy commercial mowers ( used ones that is)?
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't much like the idea of buying anything from shops that buy stolen stuff...my 2 cents.
  6. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I agree! Stay away from pawn shops...find good used equipment, its out there, you just have to look good and hard for them. Try networking with some people and let them help you be your eyes and ears in your search. Good Luck!
  7. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Ditto on this one, you are more then likely buying some other lco's stolen equipment. Stay away from the pawn shop and try looking on ebay, craig list, or one of the local auto traders.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My personal experience, Wb's 10-15 years, Z's closer to 20, 2-cyclers 1-3 seasons, trailers 8-12 years maybe 15.

That's from brand new to piece of crap, whether it still runs is of little relevance, but yes keeping things covered and proper maintenance does help, some will last longer, and some won't, depends on too many factors such as hours use / season but on average, roughly speaking.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Most states have to register serial numbers before selling what they get in, so it may not be stolen. But......... was the guy who sold something to a pawn shop really taking good care of it? Pawn shops pay very little, but pay on the spot. Something a crackhead or someone of the like would be happy with. If it were just a guy selling a mower he would place an add for it.
  10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Holy cow-20 years out of a Z!!!!!!!! That would be like ten thousand hours on the machine, assuming it runs up about 500 year. Topsy, you must run them till the wheels literally fall off of them.