equipment maint. question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenback, Mar 18, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

how easy or hard is it to change all four belts on a 48" scag. the dealer wants to charge me 525 for a tune up and all the belts replaced. if it is easy i will put them on myself. thanks mike

ps i have to call them back in about an rush though:D :D
  2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

? is it a walk behind? Hydro or belt drive?
    This information would help. I have a Scag walk behind hydro drive. It has 1 belt drive the hydro pumps, 1 from PTO to deck and drives two of the spindles, and 1 more that drives the other spindle.
    Belt to drive hydro about $40.
    Belt from clutch to spindles about $40.
    Belt for other spindle about $30.

If you are replacing all the belt at once you unscrew 2 bolts from the clutch mount, Loosen the 2 belt tensioner bolts, and remove and replace the belts. The hydro belt is spring loaded. Then just reverse to replace them.

As far as doing it yourself that is up to you. Are you mechanically inclined. Have you any experience with working on cars and mowers. If so then it is easy. If not let the dealer do the work. If you break something it may cost you way more to repair it.

I had the dealer tune mine up once, that is about the right price for them?Parts about $50 for that the rest is labor.

I do all my work myself, but I was a mechanic for many years before starting in this line of work. I can't afford to pay the dealer $55 per labor hour :eek: for work anyway.
  3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what I did but it should say:

I had the dealer tune mine up once, that is about the right price for them. $50 for the parts and the rest is labor.
  4. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

it is belt drive, 98 model i believe. the two steering belts and the two belts that turn the blades. i am very mechanically inclined, do all my own work on my cars but never worked on a mower. i am guessing i would be able to figure it out. i would rather pay myself 60 an hour to work on it.
  5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you should do it yourself greenback. in general, if you are mechanically inclined, you can handle things of this nature. consider it a gift, that you can save yourself all this money. I've saved thousands over the years working on my own cars, and others' cars. The same holds true for mowers.
    Plus, next time this comes around, you'll have experience on it. The only true way to find out if you can do it is to try. You owe it to yourself to try it once if it seems within your abilities.
  6. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

You better go ahead and learn how to change belts now, before one breaks when your in the field.
  7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

lawnlubber, i agree...not to ruffle anyones feathers, but greenback, surley you want to know how to maintain your own equipt.? I find that at least if i do it myself i know its done and done right (sounds trite) but it's true...i've heard some pretty crazy storrys about some stuff dealers have tried to pull on people...
  8. energy

energy LawnSite Member

greenback, nice picture. those type of girls look for confident, knowledgable, experienced men. do what you have to do.