Equipment Maint. Schedule

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJJ, Dec 12, 2005.

1. JJJ

JJJ LawnSite Member

I am trying to put together a few forms for my employees daily work sheets at the end of the work day. One of the forms will be recommended daily or weekly maint. on the equipment.... Riders, Walk behinds, trimmers, truck, etc. Has anybody ever posted a sample of this type form on the site or be willing to share?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really want those bumbling idiots in charge of how much oil should be in the machine? When I had employees, I would pick one or two and every Monday or so they would hang around the shop and do all the maintenance. Checking oil and other BASIC equip. needs was usually the responsibility of the forman.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use forms as a guide.
    The training schedule to get five guys to do things the same way was a bit daunting.
    What I found out was using a white eraser board mounted on the shop wall was the best "form" I could ever have.
    I do have a master equipment service record book that only I record in. Purchased from R&R Products, it has really been useful.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally check oil in all w/bs & riders in the AM prior to loading. Check push blowers in fall & sod cutter, aerator, thatchers in their seasons when being used. I have found a good idea to put the hour meters on all w/b's and other similar equipment to help track when oil changes get done. We lube weekly & do air cleaners 1-2X's/week depending upon season. Blades get don 1-2X's per week. The only maint I record is repair work & oil changes. Again having an hour meter & date is important.
  5. JJJ

JJJ LawnSite Member

Thx for the replys. I was hoping someone had something printed up or even a daily worksheet or log that the foreman fills out daily that included maint. duties on them.
  6. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

My guys check oil daily, sharpen blades twice to three times a week or as needed and do the same to the truck daily. It seems to work out great. While they're gassing up in the morning, whats so hard about having the truck driver check the oil in everything. They can always have some bumbling idiot fill the gas while they do the important stuff. As far as checking the tires go thats a daily thing before they leave the shop. The mowers depend upon how much each machine has been getting used. Sometimes the walk-behinds get used less than the riders. Normally I leave it up to the driver to keep tabs on all this on a chart that you can draw up real easy on word proscessor or something like that. And if I give a surprise inspection and I find things different from what their sheet the crap hits the fan!:cool:
  7. JJJ

JJJ LawnSite Member

P&L, thx for the info. Would you be willing to send that sheet to me, just trying to get a idea on what all I can include and not be too much.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

JJJ, you are the boss. Decide what you want to track (what is important to you) and force your employees to comply. They work for you, treat them as this is the case.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend some quality time with the manuals and maintenance recommendations that you received with each piece of equipment you own. If you threw them away then go to each manufacturer's web site and down load the info.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have everybody get use to checking the oil and do walkarounds everyday but maintenance is all me than i know it gets done the way it should..