Equipment Maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 15, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

This year has been the worse for me in regards to maintenance on my mowers and equipment. I swear that this year I have already spend more in repairs and parts than I did the previous two years. I baby the heck out of the equipment as well, but a lot of little stuff is breaking down or just needing replaced

Anywheres from; castor wheel bushings, deck bushings, wheels, deck engagers, choke levers on trimmers, trimmer heads, replacing a part on the blower that I ran over, throttle cable on a blower, the gear part on the head of the trimmer, bushings in sulkies, I replaced 3 belts on the deck in less than a months time because of a pulley that was bent....the list goes on and on.

When is it going to end? I only have $187.00 left budgeted towards maintenance repairs for the rest of the year and I will pass that in no time.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Some years are like that. It also sounds like some of your equipment may be nearing the end of it's lifespan. My 2000 Exmark 36 is like this too.

2000 and 2001 - no repairs (other than tranny belt every year)
    2002 - replaced the left hand spindle under warranty
    2003 - replaced both hand control levers, front wheel and castor bushings
    2004 - right hand jackshaft bearing is bad as are both spindles

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Your equipment obviously hasn't read your budget plan. Sit down and go over it with all of them! Next year put a bonus clause in there for under budget. Maybe a fresh coat of paint or a warm bath. Seriously though, Maybe think about more pm or trading when warranty expires. Or, adjust the budget.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

tiedeman- I've had years like that, too. Some are good, some are bad, and I've learned to always budget on the high side. Fortunately, this year has been pretty good (knocking on wood right now) I remember my first year accounting professor saying "every piece of machinery is on a constant march to the scrap heap" So true.

5. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I've been in the Aircraft maintenance business for nearly
    30 years now and the key to any kind of consistant reliability
    is PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

You simply just can't wait for it to break. I try to go over my
    equipment at least once a week. Check everything, lube,
    ect. This way you can see any adverse trends starting and
    you can plan for these failures before they shut you down.

I don't know about you guy's but I don't have several pieces
    of backup equipment waiting in the wings.

It does take time, but believe me it will save you more time
    and money in the long run.
    :D

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're preaching to the choir here.

In my case, as I'm sure Tiedman's also, nothing major has ever failed. Everything I listed was replaced or I have knowledge that it needs to be replaced before it failed(s).

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Tiedman , I feel your pain. Earlier in the year had a T-box repair $530, and last week had both z-turns go in the shop on the same day!! AND last Friday morning I picked up my main z-turn at 8 am & had to take it back @ 2 pm for a different problem.
    I'm leaning toward a 2 or 3 year swapping period on my mowers starting next season!

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Tideman
    Hang in there i know the feeling except mine has not only been equipment but a lot of large size truck repairs.

9. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: good one Tharrell

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member