Equipment Needed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gravtyklz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

I've searched around this forum a lot today to try to get ideas. So please know even though I ask a broad question....im not doing it out of laziness!

I want to start up a small earth moving business. I'm not positive about the kind of work I would do just yet.... I would like a piece of equipment that would give me a wide array of things really.

I dont mind buying used right now. I want to spend less than $10k. Being able to dig small trenches would be nice. I work with an electrician and we could use it to dig lines for wire.

I know I havent given many details on the kind of work im doing, but what piece of equipment in that price range can do a wide array of things? The low cost and excavating use is nice because with or without extra work....it can be used for my line of work in the electric field.

Thanks a lot!

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'll jump in on this. The most versatile thing you could buy would be a small Tractor/Loader/Backhoe. But you ain't gonna get much for under $10K. Better think $15K. Can trench, dig, backfill, load, use a 3 pt. etc...

3. gravtyklz

I notice that some of you use skid steers a lot and even do things like dig for basements.

Would a compact 4wd tractor with a front loader and backhoe be capable of that too?

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A compact tractor would not be able to effectively dig a basement. The time it would take, the toll it would take on the tractor, and your patience would run out. A used skid steer could be had for around $10-$12K, so that's somewhere near your price range.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO you would first decide what it is you want to do and then select equipment that will best allow you to accomplish your goal. This prevents buying equipment that doesn't fit with your operation.

6. gravtyklz

Okay if I used a backhoe type compact tractor, or a smaller excavator so that I could dig utility lines.....

What other uses could I get out of it? I know with large excavators, or with larger backhoes there are plenty, but with something smaller Im just unsure?

Another question....

The backhoe attatchments for skid steers.....are they worth the $$$?

Thanks again.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

8. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a fan of tractor/backhoe's, but they would fit your criteria right now. A skid steer is pretty much dedicated to moving earth, and a backhoe attach. alone will run you anywhere from $3500-8K. And don't forget, your going to need a trailer and a truck big enough to haul what ever you get. Your $10K budget is going to need some adjustment for anything worthwhile. Get the tractor, and see what work comes your way. I predict within a year or two you will be looking for a 6-10K Lb excavator! Good luck.
    David