1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Operator Training

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Runner, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, just out of curiosity, where would someone go (besides the military) to learn how to operate and obtain licensing to operate heavy equipment? This has always been an interest of mine, and would certainly be interesting to know just how to go aboutit, and what kind of training is involved. I know the best learning comes from experience, as the experienced operators become masters at this. (I refer to the example of the ad where the guy poors a glass of wine with the Komatsu excavator.) (Atleast I THINK it was a Komatsu.):)
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There are all sorts of schools you can go to learn how to operate every piece of equipment out there. It's expensive, but you'll be a certified operator. Cat has one, it's about 3 weeks long and you can choose what equipment you want to learn how to operate. Anything from backhoes to scrapers, they teach it all. Check it out!
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Whats wrong with joining the military to learn?? They let you break everything from wheel barrow's to excavators!

On a serious note:

Most manufacturer's offer courses on specific pieces of equipment (their's of course!)

Besides that, check with your local chapter of International Operating Engineers. They are known for having the best apprentice training programs offered. They have a "learn while you earn" deal too, so its not just going to school. Heres the site if you would like to chek it out.

Your Michigan local is located in Livonia (#324) Telephone- 732-462-3660

Drop me a line if theres anything else I can help you with.

Hope this helped!
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I learned the old fashion way work for people that have that kind of equipment.they will help sponser you for a license and train you to work them in acual jobs and not simulations.Call your goverment agency that license that and they should be able to tell you what to do.
  5. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Correction on Guido's post: The phone number is 734-462-3660.

No 732 area code in Michigan.

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

7. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Happens to the best of us, Guido. :D It's not like I am checking up on you, but I live vext door to Livonia and didn't recognize the area code.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Thanks for the info!:)