Equipment Opinion for Small Yards

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by trent515, Jan 18, 2006.

1. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    This will be my first year in the business by myself. I have worked the past two seasons for a local, large-campus hospital where I have honed my skills. I have my flyer waiting to be printed, and have taken care of the "business" side of things (taxes etc.) except for insurance. My big question is, what equipment do you feel will be best? I am doing only residential lawns, almost all of which are 1/3 acre or less, and many have 36" chain link gates. I have an older John Deere 36" WB that will serve as a backup/secondary mower once I spend the money for a gas tank and other small parts. I have been looking at the smaller Hustler Mini FasTrack 36", Gravely 34" ZTR, and a Snapper 32" Hydro walk behind. Other walk-behinds you'd recommend? Keep in mind this is just what I am starting with, as I plan to build from here and get bigger mowers for lawns where it'll allow.

Any suggestions?
    Trent
    The NEWLY FORMED Triple M Professional Groundscapes

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just get another 36" WB. I am going inot my second year and i am new to the business compared to most of the people on this site. I just used a 36" encore WB to do about 12 accounts at the begging of last years mowering season. By the end of the season i was up to 28 accounts and then i bought a rider. I would stick with the WB a little exercise never hurt anybody.

3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would go with a 36in walk behind to start out with...i started with a 48 and got a yard with a fench and i couldnt get it in so i would spend a lot of time at this one house....so after i made a few pennys i traded in the used 48 and bought a brand new 36in....didnt hit this problem till being in business for 2years but still ya never know...now going on to the 4th season that 36 is runnin strong and it is quick...cut a 4ace property with it have a nice lil single wheel sulkiey on there and runs great