equipment outside

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Jun 9, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i was wondering if it would be bad to leave my equipment outside on a trailer...not worried about theft as much as i am worried of rain damage to them. Please give me some help if you have experience with this.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i dont think it would hurt it, but it also wouldnt help it any, espisally if a gas cap or oil cap came loose somehow or blades rusting (if they do)

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

DO A SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST COMMON QUESTIONS SUCH AS THESE PLEASE!!!

There was a thread a few days ago about this.

The main point from that thread was equipment outside ages roughly 4x faster than normal.

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep all my equipment in a large shed, and it stays in great condition! If you don't have a shed at least get a tarp to cover it with!:rolleyes:

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started and did not have a shop or inside storage we erected a light frame and tarp. It had to be low and not noticeable. Every night the trailer would be backed into fenced pen and the "tent" brought over it. Took about five minutes and worked well. We only left the mowers out, not hand equipment. Never had a problem. The next year though I got inside storage. Just makes life easier.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with MKWL, if you don't have a large shed or garage at least cover your equipment with a tarp and strap down the tarp with bungee cords. I did that for 2 years before having my garage built, worked out just fine.

7. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

what about security do yall lock the reciever of your trailers and the gate when kept outside