Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I had a very rare opportunity to travel up to Toronto Canada with two of my friends who own landscape companies here in the states. We spent two days up there touring an incredible high end landscape company and spending a day with their upper management discussing an array of things.

At the same time we were in the company of the President of Dynascapes. He is a great person who truly cares about improving a design and manage program.

The brainpower that was in that conference room was probably some of the most powerful I've ever experienced in my green industry career. We've established great relationships with a phenomenal company in Canada and formed friendships that will help us all grow. This company would rank in the top 40 in the U.S. in sales volume, needless to say they have their stuff together.

Never stop learning, and I've said it before, surround yourself with people who have like minded goals and dreams.

2. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarod, I think this may have been asked somewhere among the pages here, but I feel like I could spend days trying to find it haha. At one point I did read this whole thread front to back, and I know you started off as a really small company and built things up from there. I was wondering at what point did you start taking a paycheck from the company? And how did you figure out what to pay yourself?

3. etwman

My advice on this would be to hold off trying to pay yourself as long as you can. If you have a spouse that can support you financially in the first few years then do it. The more you can leave in the company as it starts up, the faster it will grow, and the more financially stable it will become. Buy wisely, when the time comes to pull a salary don't get greedy. This is not a get rich quick scheme, it's a marathon, not a race you will win in a year.

I think it was the beginning of year three before I pulled a paycheck. It's not that you can't do it earlier, you just have to be careful.

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

You've got a real impressive operation going on. Congrats.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

Jarod,

I just hopped on here after not being on in a while. I cannot believe that this thread is still going. I was working with you when those first pics were taken at Les and Brenda's. Amazing, that seems like so long ago. Saw the job you are doing on Rank Rd. quite an array of things going on there. Did they install a pool? I see the day's of no working on Saturday's has ended....It's looking good.

6. etwman

The whole project is based off of our plan and construction management. The pool company got their shell in about two months ago. We started work there two weeks ago. I'm guessing there was a crew there Saturday but I'm not even sure. Middle of last week I opened this one Saturday up for work since it rained last Monday. I wanted my guys to be able to get overtime for the holidays if they wanted it. It was totally optional and I'm not even sure who took it.

7. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats kind of what I've been doing, I try to put most of my expenses back to the business as legitimately as possible. Obviously its hard to get my 600-channel HDTV cable bill as a business write off, but my truck, fuel, cell phone, etc I put all as a business expense. I basically just try to take enough away right now to help with the household bills and such, but at some point I would like to take more to start personally investing it for myself.

8. KerryWalker

KerryWalker LawnSite Member

Do you bill for equipment when you are only mowing a lawn? And if so, what is a good starting figure?

9. KerryWalker

KerryWalker LawnSite Member

The Pumpkin Plan by Michael Michalowitz. Another fellow lawn guy talked about this book in this post. What is it all about? Is it about the business of lawn care business? And where can I get it?

Thanks.

10. etwman

We don't mow grass anymore, and haven't for years. So I could even begin to tell you what the rates should be. Truth be told it all depends on your company, you have to know what you need to charge to cover expenses. Rule #2 of business. Rule 1 is defining your target market.

The pumpkin plan is about being focused on what you do. It's not green industry related, but a lot of it is relative. You can get it on Amazon.