Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

The winners in business aren't the ones that do the most things. The winners are the ones that do the most important things." Joe Calloway in his new book, another must read!

2. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you say that quote would be geared to what one offers in the landscape industry or rather the standard things are offered?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. etwman

Here's a spring tip for everyone for equipment, because right now everyone needs more equipment than they have money for at the seasonal start up.

You have heard me mention that cash is king and that I look very closely at equipment before I purchase. We all now that equipment is expensive, especially in the specialized hardscape arena. It's not out of the question for a well equipment hardscape rig with a mini-ex, track skid loader, etc. to roll down the road at more than $275k worth of stuff. I've witnessed mine rolling out of our parking lot at times at just that.

So here's the tip to beat this sometimes: I will sometimes go into our local very reputable rental company and ask them if they have any _____ for sale. Or do they have any slightly used things they want to sell like tampers, pressure washers, etc. Most rental companies, that are decent will maintain their equipment well and won't run it into the ground. Now I'm not saying buy the worst thing on the floor, but ask for what you need that maybe a year or two old. You can save 20-30-40% over what a new one will cost. Plus, and this is a huge plus, they may even repair it for you when something breaks down because they have parts in stock, etc. and they know that model.

Chew on this for awhile, I've bought handful of things off of a great family owned local rental company over the years and its worked great.

4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

All very true, I picked up many x rental pieces over the years. Last great find was at of all places home depot. Was their to get some lumber and walked past their rental department, had 2 wacker plate compactors with wheel kits in real nice shape for sale. Both were 2 years old and showed little wear, got em for $500 each. Pays to look around.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Home depot can even tell you how many times the tools have been rented out and for how long.

I worked for a construction company when i was 18, they told me to go rent a compactor for 3 months from home depot. I told the secretary it would be cheaper to buy but they didn't want to understandably take the risk. So i asked if i could take the risk and then the company pays me, if it breaks i will have to replace it. I still have the compactor to this day and made almost 2,000 bucks on the deal.

6. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Can even get 0% for 6 or 12 months on their credit card.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Work hard, player harder to be smarter!

8. michiganmower10

michiganmower10 LawnSite Member

just wondering, i had read through this thread a while back and had saw some mowers, are you still involved in any lawn/landscape maintenance or you just primarily installation?

9. etwman

95% installation.

What a crazy spring.

image.jpg

10. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Amazing work as always!
    Posted via Mobile Device