Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just pick one or two things and focus on what you are good at, where your passion is, and where you want to take your company. I have friends in this industry who are the very best at commercial grounds care. I wouldn't have a clue how to price that stuff and we'd be eaten for lunch if we tried.

3. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I can say I am most passionate about creating landscapes and maintaining them (not lawn work). Problem for me is lack of education in some construction techniques. I know I need to do some small scale stuff first and have. But it's the lack of knowledge holding me back. I can mow a lawn with the best and provide maintenance to an already installed landscape. I like the landscape maintenance but not lawns. Mainly due to extreme competition and low pricing. There are people doing good work for low prices. Things to ponder for the future... But like you said people get it done with maintenance, high end installs, commercial, etc.... So there is a way. Just need to figure the path to follow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire people into your company that can bring things that you don't know. You'll never learn everything. Some of the best landscape company owners I know don't know the specifics of all the plants. That's why you bring people to the company that can help you grow.

People say well I can't afford to hire these type of people. You can't afford not too.

5. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

You're right. Some of the best craftsman may not want to own a business but can provide greatness to a business. Once I get to a needing employees level that's what'll happen. I hope I can get that level sooner than later.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

that last build truly is spectacular.
    Gotta say it again-who knew there was that kinda coin in central PA!
    Beautiful.

7. landscaper5

landscaper5 LawnSite Member

Do you think having a landscape degree would help a lot if you really want to get in big landscape projects ?

8. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Landscaper I don't want to put words in his mouth but if I had to guess with the size of his business and the size you need to have to pull of projects like that you should pursue a business degree and hire people with a landscape degree.

9. landscaper5

landscaper5 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply TTS, do you think a construction management degree would be a good degree to get ?

10. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started college that was my major, absolutely nothing to do with landscaping though..
    Posted via Mobile Device