1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

lets see them then
  2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Mrusk, then I would advise you to start a new thread entitled "mrusk's project photos" I'm sure quite a few would be interested in seeing your work.

Adam, a college education defintely cannot hurt by any stretch of the means. Is it neccessary? That's a whole other thread there. There were some definite pluses to some of the classes that I took. I can't say Latin American Music and Culture class did much of anything but the business, investments, finances, and management classes did. You won't learn the "field specifics" in a college setting but the basics will definitely help. You have the rest of your life to play in the dirt. You have to learn to walk before you can run.
  3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Go to College!
    Obviously the education is incredibly important, but there is so much more to it than the degree you will earn. I think that there is so much gained by going to college, the discipline, the friends, the culture, etc.
  4. etwman

I would definitely concur with Tony on that.
  5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

so while i was driving along i was thinking, much like i usually do. I was wondering if you are going after your first FULL landscape install, how do you insure the client that you know what you're doing since you wouldn't have a portfolio set up?

6. etwman

If you don't have any experience you can rely on good subs who know.....nevermind......

Start with small jobs and take pictures. If you go to college you'll have an educational background that will be worth something.

You should start a separate thread for Adam's Questions.
  7. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i almost hate ask this question, but if you just bought your first dig. camera, what were you using for your portfolio?

i don't want to hijack thread or down, but i'm just curious.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Lets see the latest project ETW.
  9. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 LawnSite Member

I am working on my college education. Landscape Horticulture at Ohio State University. I don't think I have a single customer in either the landscape or maintenance end that has not asked about my graduation date. Everyone pays very close attention to my progess in school and business. My largest job to date ($22,000) was ensured partly due to the fact that I am almost finished with a degree. I made about $14,000 on that job. Therefore, if school costs about $8000 dollars a year then I would have paid for approx 1.5years of my education. Not bad for just over 10 days of hard work.

My education will pay and has paid for itself time and time again. I am a senior with about 8 classes to go and the money / recognition is already starting to multiply.
  10. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

ETW- I always check out this thread when something else is added and I honestly take your business ideas to heart. I’m not in the landscaping or the hardscaping field. My company is mainly pool service, maintenance, and we do pool replastering, some deck work, tile and coping. We stay very busy with what work we do and I find the pool construction business overly saturated with complete morons. In Texas, pool builders are not licensed , nor regulated. That’s why you see so many fly-by-night companies that leave shotty work…..it’s one reason we stay so busy. At the same time, it usually leaves a bad taste with the customer as well and most likely their last pool they buy. However, there are a few companies that use nothing but subcontractors, but their client is buying nothing but the pool name, ie wise pool.com (someone that I used to work for). But I do agree with you in keeping everything in house, sometimes, in my case, it can’t always be done.