Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southsideone, Oct 30, 2006.

1. southsideone

southsideone LawnSite Member

what equipment would you recommend for me. im thinking of starting a lawn service next spring and i will be the sole operator. all residential. looking for a 4x6' trailer, blower, weedwacker, mower, hedger. please list any products/prices that would suit my needs for a small business for myself.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You need a WAM

J/K What size properties are you going to mow. What is your budget?
  3. southsideone

all residential, say average yards of 400-2000 sqft, gernerally flat and open.
    the budget will revolve around what equipment is "necessary" for the above yard sizes. this will only be maintence, no custom landscape/pond/etc.
  4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

what I have been doing for preliminary/rough #s is looking on ebay for used equipment. That will get you a general idea, my next step is to go to equipment dealers around me (apparantly around you as well) and visit them and talk to them about the euipment they have that is used/for sale. The way i found the dealers is to go to manufacturers websites of lets say Scag and see who sells them in my area and it will provide me with the address and phone # of the dealers.

Hope that made sense, im not good at typing my thoughts down on paper.
  5. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i started back in august by september i had bought 36 ferris hydro walk behind($3000) a 5x10 trailer ($1100) and im using my craftsman blower ($100) and my craftsman trimmer($129) and im getting by.....if i could start over id get the same trailer buy a used walk behind if i could find one.i think a hydro is the way to go especially on small residential yards.but i without a doubt will be shopping for a better trimmer and blower.the blower has already been to the shop once and cost me 40 bucks.at least go to home depot and buy a echo or stihl products.these arent really commercial grade at home depot but they are better than the craftsman(poulan)stuff.if you got the money id try to see if there is a dealer around you that sells kawasaki trimmers from what i hear they are light and last........oh well im getting carried away.....
  6. southsideone

d.m.d., that was exactly what i was looking for, just a quick rundown. classylawncare, i have already been looking online and was unable to get sufficient info from scag(pricing).
    btw dmd, 36 refers to the cutting deck i assume?
    and from what ive read, it seems that the hydro cutters are much better than belt. what im curious is what exactly in the mower is hydro? vs. belt?

thx everyone
  7. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

yes 36 is the deck width.a hydro has instant fwd/reverse.you can run up to a tight spot and back right out of it.a belt has several fwd gears 3rd would probably be the most used and reverse is called a reverse assist its not fast but you can back up.there is nothing wrong with a belt drive thats what they all were at one time.if i was cutting a couple acres id have a belt.the belt drives should have a gear selector about knee high and thats how most guys shift them is with their knee.check into the toro belt drives with the t bar controls or a quick36 hydro those are simple and cheaper around 2200 i think and for a couple hundred you can have it shipped to your door........

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

For you lots size I would say Quick 36
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree.

For stuff that small, Q36. Get the one with the large engine(16hp kawi I think) if you can.