Equipment Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dachiznitt, Jan 20, 2003.

1. dachiznitt

dachiznitt LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a good web site to shop for new euipment and wanted some advice as to where to shop... I found this site and wanted some input on the pricing. I live in San Diego California and there are only a few places that sell commercial equpment and are not priced competitively.

Whattya think?

http://alamia.com/

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest you get out the Yellow Pages and find out where all the mower dealers are around you in a 30 mile or so radius. Go see and talk with them.

A web site in Colorado is not going to do you much good for purchasing equiment info for southern California in my opinion. It's not like you're going on-line to buy an appliance.

3. dachiznitt

I have done that. There are only a few listed which I went to their shop and their prices, excuse my french, sucked! The site I referenced above beat any of the prices I was able to find at the dealers in the area. I would not pay taxes and free shipping on most.

Anyone else use and internet site to order any equipment?
    or could recommend one?

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
    :)

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

What if it breaks?

Are you going to ship it back to Colorado for service?

Price is important, but service could be more important if you need it and can't get it. Maybe use the online pricing as a bargaining point with your local dealers?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe use the online pricing as a bargaining point with your local dealers?

Good point Bruce. It would be a good reference point.

You might get free shipping on a $450 backpack blower that only weighs 15 or 20 lbs.. Not so sure you would get free shipping on a $5 - 10,000 mower that weighs 700 - 1500lbs though.

6. dachiznitt

2 Very good points! I appreciate your input and will go with your suggestion "Bruces". I'll see if we can work out a deal...

Thanks all! :)

7. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Buy locally when it comes time to get service work done you won't be put at the bottom of the list, because you bought it somewhere else. That seems to be the way it works around here.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes paying a higher price to secure good service is worth it.

9. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

The advantages of having good rapport and a long term relationship with a reputable dealer can negate better deals here and there. I have a 2 year old Toro Proline mower in the shop for a warranty deck replacement. I showed the dealer a crack in the deck that I thought could have resulted from a "cold pour". The deck is 1 year and nine months out of warranty. He called Toro on my behalf. Not only am I getting a new deck but Toro agreed to warranty the labor to swap engines and tranny. I gave the dealer the opportunity to say no, which I was sure he would. I would have been happy with a new deck in the back of my pick-up. I don't think you can develop that relationship with an internet dealer.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, I don't know what kind of good ole boy, intimidation racket, monopolistic, backwards systems they're running in some of your cities, but I've bought large mowers at three different local dealers, and smaller equipment at 4 or 5 different places. And in 10 years I have NEVER been asked if I bought the equipment there or not, not even for warranty work. The dealer simply sees I am in the business and puts me ahead of Harry Homeowners and on a waiting list like all the other businesses. I've rarely had to wait more than a day or two, and sometimes they've repaired it while I waited. In fact, one big dealer oriented towards us in the business has been far less courteous and helpful and I bought more equipment there than at a smaller dealer nearby.

So the idea of paying an extra $500 of "protection money" to some uneducated fool dealership owner who can't run a business efficiently enough to handle competition just doesn't fly with me. Should nobody ever buy used equipment out of fear of angering our dealers? What would that do to the resale value of your equipment?

Also, you're not paying for ANYTHING extra in the price of the mower. They have to take delivery, uncrate it, set it up, and hand it over to you. That's all. Check it out and I suspect you'd find they're making a pretty penny even at discounted prices. I know more about the mowers than any of the salesman I've run into, and if somebody wants to have a mower shipped to them and set it up themselves to save $500 or $1,000, more power to them. Am I supposed to pay these guys more than I net in a week just to have them assemble a few parts and check out a mower in a couple of hours, max?

For those w/o education in economics, it's called efficiency of markets. Increases in efficiency are what makes us all prosperous in the long run. Purposely paying more than market price makes everyone except a few dealers lose. And market price by definition is what someone is willing to pay, and not a penny more.

I have spares for everything and recommend that to anyone who can afford it, so if it takes me a day extra to get it fixed, I don't care, anyway.

I think it's pretty immature and petty to refuse to service mowers in a professional manner just because someone didn't buy it from you. If you want their business, lower your prices or go raise chickens or something. They all buy the mowers from Exmark at the same price. So if one guy is higher, it's for a reason.

Service is paid for with fees for service. Sales profits come from sales. The two are distinct and only a sloppy businessman would confuse the two by "giving away" maintenance while trying to make it up on sales.

I can tell you the worst thing to do would be to purposely pout and refuse or delay service to a person just because they didn't buy the mower there. It might also be a violation of their franchise agreement. It definitely would cost a dealer a prospective customer in the future. Dumb business, I think.

Imagine what would happen if a Chevy dealer only wanted to work on cars he sold. He would A) suffer financially because his service bays would be empty too often and B) lose thousands of potential new sales with his immature attitude and inability to learn that we live in a free market system based on price competition.

Some dealers may want you to buy into their little protected market scheme. Don't. Imagine what a hammer would cost if you could only buy it at your nearby Ace Hardware, and if you dared buy it somewhere else, you'd be refused service in the future.

Yes, you may sometimes "win" by having a dealer who knows you go to bat for you. But the odds say that you will lose if you're consistently paying ten or twenty percent too much.