Equipment question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassleg, Jul 17, 2008.

?

Engage PTO at:

Poll closed Aug 16, 2008.
  1. Full throttle?

32.7%
  2. Lowest w/o bogging engine?

18.2%
  3. Half throttle?

49.1%
  1. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

so, in some other threads this seems to be a serious debate..and i think we could ALL benefit if we got the solid truth, rock bottom solid...that may not exist..:dizzy:

At what speed do you engage and disengage blades? full throttle, or low idle.
    I always engage/disengage at half throttle.

Anybody got one solid answer?
    Techs out there?
    we run strictly exmark.

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ever read the manual?

3. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I always do it at full because the effect on the hydraulic system and the engine, on a percentage basis, is at its lowest. If it takes "X" amount of force to engage the PTO, the higher the percentage you exceed "X" by, the less of an effect it will have on the components providing that force.

4. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

*eyebrow raised*

i guess you cant just think about it from the aspect of the PTO clutch but the overall systems within the mower..
    which is why i engage at half.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Half just as the owners manual says to do. I don't tend to over-think what is clearly stated in the manual.

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone EVER read the manual?

Electric clutches - half throttle (or replace when they wear out sooner).
    Manual engagement - doesn't really matter.
    When you're cutting, though, run at full throttle, please.

7. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

I'm no expert on this but think about the clutch in a car or truck. If you routinely engage the clutch with the engine turning maximum RPM, you'd wear out the clutch in short order. The same concept applies to the PTO clutch. Lower engine RPM means you get less slippage. Of course too low of RPM might start to get hard on the engine, so half throttle is a good happy medium. I'd go with half throttle (especially if that's what the manual says, and I think that's what my Scag manual indicates).

8. brandtb1

brandtb1 LawnSite Member

On my walk behind, I have been told to engage at half to save the wear and tear on the belts. I do cut at full throttle.

9. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

My Exmark manual, as well as the dealer I purchased it from says "half-throttle", so thats what I do.

On another note, I am attending a family reunion later this month in Nebraska. It will be near Beatrice, so I e-mailed Exmark folks to see if I might could get a tour of their manufacturing facility. The marketing guy has extended an invitation, so I'll report my findings after the tour!!

10. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Mississippiturf I'm not far from you, I'll like to PM you if you you don't mind. Your PM must be turned off.