Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gonzoduke0, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Gonzoduke0

Gonzoduke0 LawnSite Member

I'm looking to start my lawn care business come springtime. I was just wondering if I should start out with a couple of 21'' push mowers or should I pony up the cash and get a commercial walk behind or stander? Something in the realm of 36'' or 44''? I will of course get trimmers and blowers, but I'm just trying to plan financially for the mower aspect. Thanks for any advice.

2. Mckenzie's Maintenance

Mckenzie's Maintenance LawnSite Member

depends on exactly what you are could go either way ...small residentals...overall residentals and a few commercials if possible...larger residentals...higher end residentals who may benefit from striping...

figure out what you are targeting and then buy equipment complenting your niche.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you already have some accounts for next year, then you can probably justify a 36" wb. But if you don't have any accounts yet, then you may want to wait on a commercial wb and just get a 21" until you pick up enough accounts. But either way, you will probably need a 21" anyway, so you can go ahead and get one of those and then wait on the wb until you get some jobs.