Equipment question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flasooner, Nov 24, 2004.

1. flasooner

flasooner LawnSite Member

I am new trying to get started. There are a ton of different brands of mowers, so I wanted to get opinions on what would be good equipment to start with. I want to get a zero turn but am not sure what the best brand to get would be. Obviously I am new so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That is a tuff question to answer. There are many companies that have good equipment. What dealers do you have in the area? Go and talk to them and see how they handle breakdowns and how they treat you. Alot of companies make good equipment but a bad dealer makes it hard if he doesnt service you. No matter what brand you buy they all breakdown at times so customer service is very important too

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with grass cuttin fool, talk to some local dealers, see what they have to offer and how they treat you, then make a decision.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with the above two
    i will add this though.

i would buy a walk behind with sulky to get started though.
    they are at least 1/3 less money.

buy the best handhelds you can afford.

5. flasooner

flasooner LawnSite Member

Thanks, that's good advice. I have talked with a gentleman who sells Hustlers and seemed very helpful. I spoke with another guy in the business and he uses Dixie Choppers and swears by them but I haven't talked with a DC dealer yet. That makes sense that good service would be the key. Thanks for the replies.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you decide to go with a dixie chopper take a look at the flex-deck option. The creator is a member of the board. Like everyone has said so far, service will be one of the biggest things to look at. Try and get a mower that will siut your needs now and iin the future as well. By that I mean don't get something with a small deck now if you plan to be doing larger properties in the future. On the flipside a huge mower to do small residentials wouldn't necessarily be a good move either. Demo several types and brands and see which feels the most comfortable over a period of time. Also look into used if you're on a budget. Check into a loaner policy at the dealer you're thinking that will be doing the service and see if their policy works for you. There are lots of good brands,Exmark,Toro,Hustler,Dixie,Walker, Bobcat/Jacobsen/Bunton(all owned by Textron),Yazoo,Gravely, just stay away from non-commercial equipment. Good luck to you. :waving:

7. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Don't forget Scag, Snapper, Ferris, and Wright!

Seth

8. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't buy crappy equiptment first trying to save a few bucks. I did a couple of years ago when I started and it ended up costing me double and triple for trimmers and blowers. buy good stuff first and once.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Like many others have stated dealer you feel will treat you right goes a long ways.

Research
    Research
    Research

Narrow some informed choices down bearing in mind the $$ you are comfortable in parting with, and demo.

Good Luck

G-P :waving:

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

In the FL weather conditions ..... almost year round cutting ..... sun showers .... heat etc and than with our thich tough St. Aug

I'd make sure I have a mulching deck ..... deck size most flexiable (36-48") if I only had 1 mower to start .... Hydro ...Z if the $$ allows n the largest HP motor I could get

Good Luck