1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

equipment recommendation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mlawncare, Jan 27, 2004.

1. mlawncare

mlawncare LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just wanted some input from other professionals. What would you recommend in the form of a skid steer piece of equipment for landscapers. Make and model #'s that you use and pros and cons would be helpful. I don't want to make a pricey mistake.
  2. mlawncare

from Florida

ok...a litter further exploration of this site found my answer for me. I am thinking of going with the New Holland superboom...what model would you recommend. It has to lift pallets of sod and do a good job grading...longer wheel base..but still be compact enough for the smaller lots.
    in other words I want it all in one package...anything out there???
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

LS180 New Holland. It won't do it all but it will do about 95%

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a CAT 232. We love it! The joystick controls are great. Good power, good lift height. Only drawback is if you use an attachment like a rock hound your thumb will be indefinately bruised from pushing the button in.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously everyone has their favorites. I like the CASE XT models. The 70XT is probably my favorite to run. Radial lift so it is easier to see out of. Controls are very sweet and has more power than anything in its class (85 hp, 2K operating capacity). IF you dump into trucks you may want a vertical lift in which case the 75XT (2200K lift) 85XT (2400K lift and built heavier than 75XT) and if you can justify it 95XT up to 3600 pounds of lift. I would try one before you buy. An example: We have a customer who is a landscaper with an LS180. For light work he does it himself. When it comes to moving large amounts of material in tough conditions he calls and we bring the 95XT. We have done work for him since 1995 and he finally has decided that this spring he is trading the LS for an XT (hasn't decided which one). They are impressive.
  6. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

New Holland LS 180 all the way.
  7. mlawncare

from Florida

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I'm still looking. I did drive an LS180 today. They were telling me that with a weight kit it would be alright to lift pallets of sod off a truck...still undecided but it would be close. Thanks again for the advice.