Equipment Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSTR, Jan 30, 2003.

1. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

I am planning to start a lawn care business and am interested in your experience with various manufactures, and equipment any of you would recommend for residential and commercial lawncare. I've seen the survey by SableRock that addressed sit-on riding mower's.

Would appreciate recommendation / comments on:

- Manufacture, Cut Size, H.P:

- Walk behind for residential lawns (average size 140 x 70) with gate access (36”) to back yard.

- String Trimmer and / or Edger

- Blower

- Labor; recommendations on: Sourcing, Pay, Insurance, Do’s & Don’ts

Other:
    Estimate of monthly maintenance and cost for above equipment?

I've had someone mention charging more for a "first cut". Does anyone else do this?

2. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

DSTR,

I hope some of this will help:

In Houston, you have to have a 32". You cannot get a 36" past alot of the gates here. Your best bet is a Lesco 32". You can get one for about $2,200.00 walkout. Go see John over at the Lesco dealer off of 45. It's on the northbound feeder behind the Papasito's. The service there is great. If you want any other brand of WB, go to Cypress Lawn and Turf and ask for Stacey. Tell him Tim sent you.
    As for 21's, it all depends on how much you want to spend. For me, there are only two choices. High end, buy a Honda hrc 216. It's a horse. It could even work out as your primary mower if you only have a few lawns. I used two of those up until I got over 40 lawns. If you are going for cheaper, (around $360.00) buy a Lawn Boy. Go to Home Depot. They are lighter than the Honda and are two cycle which means no changing oil. Also, parts are way cheaper.
    As far as trimmers and blowers, definitely buy Echo. No question.
    Get at least a srm 2400 trimmer and a Pb 602 blower.

Call me @ 281/844-1783 for the other questions, this is getting long. :cool:

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Lots of questions and lots of answers:

Equipment: look around these posts and do searchs online to find the right equipment. Also go to dealers locally and test the products. If they won't let you test them, then move on to someone that will.

Insurance: I would get a min of $1 million liability and you need some property as well for equipment and vechiles.

Labor: Do you really need employees right now?

Trimmers & Blowers: I love my Stihl brands. I have tried Shindawia before and I hate them.

If its only you mowing I would suggest a 32 inch for smaller lawns and a 52 to 60 for larger lawns.

Make sure to have policies wrote up and stick to them. The policies should cover anything from customer contracts, pay, etc.

It took me 9 years where I am at now and I still am learning everyday and updating my services, equipment, tech all the time. You have to be constantly updating to stay ahead of the game.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Would appreciate recommendation / comments on:

- Manufacture, Cut Size, H.P:eXmark, 32" or 36". Hustler makes a nice w/b also. $2200-???

- Walk behind for residential lawns (average size 140 x 70) with gate access (36”) to back yard.

- String Trimmer and / or Edger
    Stihl FS85 trimmer/Stihl FC85 stick edger $299/$330
    - Blower Redmax EB7001 $450

- Labor; recommendations on: Sourcing, Pay, Insurance, Do’s & Don’ts Start by yourself

Other:
    Estimate of monthly maintenance and cost for above equipment?

5. First get insurance,city license and get bonded
    36 inch wb I would look at Ferris,exmark, hustler or great danes
    21 wb I would look at honda,toro and lawn boy
    All those companys I mention are in no part. order They are all great.
    For trimmers and blowers I would go with stihl
    One last thing that I cant live without get the ezgate for your trailer saves your back and make life so easy

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Several very good pieces of advice already given by previous posters. I would also do a search on equipment and also look at the very frequent posts about equipment pictures and contact the poster of anything that you are interested in. I will also add that you will need dealer support even for the best piece of equipment and depending on what the shops carry in your area that may dictate your choices. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Blower- Stihl br420 magnum the most powerful I have used and DO NOT get it on ebay or anywhere on the internet. I did that and now I cannot get any warranty if I need it. Good Luck;)

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

All necessary licenses and insurance first like john said. As far a 2cycle stuff goes get Echo we haven't had any problems. Buy exmark for you're walk behinds. They make some of the best cutting machines. Only mower I've seen that leaves a better cut is a Walker.

9. Craftsmen 42" rider

Craftesmen 22" self propelled (if electric you need 400' of extension cords)

Craftsmen weed whacker (400' extension cord)

Craftsmen hand held blower (400' extenstion cord)

Crafsmen electric edger (400' extesion cord again)

Yardman hedge trimmer electric (get 400' of extenstion cords can use the ones from push mower)

Pay $7 an hour cash

Request all you payments in cash.

Don't need ins cause you don't exsist.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth