Equipment Regular Maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alpine692003, Aug 14, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys do your regular equipment maintenance?

I just usually pull out the air filters from the trimmers, mowers, blowers and clean that out.

Change the oil on the lawn mower once every 2 months.

What else?:confused: :confused:
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I lube the mowers on monday and change oil and filters at 75 hours or the closest monday they are near that. Replace air filters at 100 hours on the walk behind and 250 on the tiger cub. Trimmers I try to do once a month clean or replace the air filters and I change plugs 1 time a year or when they become dirty or worn out
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

ahh.. the plugs... i haven't changed any of that yet..

I haven't replaced any of the oil fiters / air filters yet either..
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Just run it until it blows that way there will be more money for me.payup
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

50 hours oil and filter for the mowers..lube at 100
    2 cycle equipment I ignore...until they wont start..
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Try something new and refreshing!

Read the manuals that come with each piece of equipment and follow them. The manufacturers would not invest a lot of money developing and printing the manuals unless they were accurate and useful.

We have equipment on lease with maintenance and no down time expenses paid in cash at the beginning of the lease. We just had 2 60" liquid cooled eXmarks come in from a 25 month lease and each machine had about 1000 hours. Other than tires and a few minor items, the mowers really didn't need anything else. These mowers had been serviced following eXmarks maintenance schedule and the customer had used a no down time unit one time in 25 months while we changed out a hydro pump under warranty.

A lot of work that comes into my shop is the result of not following maintenance schedules.

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean when you say lube?????
  8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with ya Oldtimer... If only operators would read the OPERATORS manual! Novel idea eh! No excuse now a days. One comes with every piece of new equipment. If ya buy it new and dont get one, go back to the dealer and get it! Period! If ya lose it or buy used and dont have one, chances are damn good there's one for free on the manufactures website. If not free, it aint gonna cost ya much. Get with it! Read the manuals! What kinda grease do I use?? What kinda oil for engine and hyd systems? How often? What do I do!! READ!!!! Become educated on the equipment you just spent thousands of yur hard earned dollars on! Its alot harder for a shady repair shop or dealer to take advantage of a smart operator! Take a small engine repair course at your local community college. Costs like 60 to 75 bucks here for a couple nights a week for 12 weeks. The cost will be returned to you 10 fold. And the courses are 100% self supporting, so whatever it costs you will go right back into the system to teach the next class.
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

mkwl...I meant the grease fittings..
  10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: oil and filter every 50-75 depends on the time of year.

air filters get blown out and the foam cleaned and reoiled weekly

replace air filter completely very 10 cuts, as well as fuel filter and plugs we cut alot of lawns, so the few bucks for the parts is the least i can do.

grease entire machine once a week, caster bearing get daily.

once a month i put a shot or 2 of marvels mystery oil in gas also.

have one kohler with 3700 hours on it.