1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Rental Insurance

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Duramax8832, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Im used to the rental company providing the machines insurance..This new rental shop requires the customer to have the insurance..Would my general liability cover this? Or do I need another insurance policy>
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Ask them. It varies by company. Quick and easy and right to the point. Is my insurance good enough? If not, what do I need. Simple!
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ask your agent about rented equipment.
  4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you have rental insurance there will be a Rental clause in your insurance policy. You should contact your insurance agent first. Because the rental shop will contact them when you apply to verify its valid. You might as well set up an account (monthly billing) with the rental company since you are giving them that info. They will want a certificate of insurance and a copy of the rental clause.
    This is what was required of me. Could be different in other places.

If you accept rental insurance from the Rental shop it is 14% more here. Plus it does not cover alot like theft, flat tires, abuse.
  5. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

I think the rental insuance from the rental company is a joke, just a way to add bucks to the rental. If you get a chance, read what is covered. It is virtually NOTHING! It used to be optional around here years ago, but is now mandatory from most places. You would be way ahead to contact your insurance company, and get whatever binder from them to cover rental equipment. Not only would it be probably be cheaper, but it might actually cover some things.