Equipment Required For Startup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy48, Aug 30, 2011.

1. lawnguy48

lawnguy48 LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Been readng a long time first time posting. Been looking into starting up a lawn care business for next season on a tight budget to start with. Most lots in target area are 50' x 150' what basic equipment would you go with if you had $3000 untill you could slowly add. Make and model would help also. Thanks a lot!!!

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What????

No F250?

3. ivyslawncare

ivyslawncare LawnSite Member

Do you already have something to tow a trailer with? If so i hope this helps. This is general pricing for what i got on craigslist. Since you are starting up i wouldnt go fully commercial grade yet.

5x10 trailer......$700
    Used wb...........$1000
    Good 21"..........$300
    Stihl fs55..........$220
    Stihl bg55.........$150

Total=...............$2370

Starting a great career.......PRICELESS!

Again, This is the ABSOLUTE minimum and leaves a little room for repairs, edgers, new stuff! I hope this helped!

4. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

I like the input, but why Stihl and not something else?:waving:

5. lawnguy48

from Toronto

thanks for you how many aaccounts did you have your first year?

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally like sithl the best, however a redmax, echo, shindawa, or tanaka should do just fine. i would spend the extra money on the trimmer though because you will be using it like a prosthetic arm. $330 should get you an fs100x stihl trimmer. the best money can buy but so worth it. you need a 36" walk behind, try finding a good used one. BE SURE to do your research on what to look for on a used mower. a lot of them have been beat into the ground and will end up being a money pit.

good luck with the start up, remember this is your future, your life. Dont take shortcuts on anything as it will only come to bite you in the as$. Whats your company name, wheres the website? any flyers? its fun to talk about starting a business but how serious are you if you havent even put the effort into the small stuff yet. Being a professional is easy, but its a lot of work at first. Dont undersell yourself, you have the balls to stand up and create a company from nothing, that says a lot about who you are. this is only the beginning of a long journey for you, and might i say, you will enjoy every minute of it. Now go buy your set-up load it up, look at it, take a deep breath and realize that you have made the best decision of your life. NOW GET TO WORK, you have a legacy to create

7. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Well for the first year keep it reasonable say 30 to stay safe. That is if you are solo.

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

that set-up should be enough for 40 accounts.. 40 account with almost no overhead should be enough to support a family with

9. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

a push mower, $50 trimmer and a broom.

10. lawnguy48

from Toronto

Lot of good stuff said here. Thanks you clearly are enjoying what you do.