1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

equipment, residential vs. commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEPSJay, Apr 23, 2006.

1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I make it a rule, to ONLY buy "commercial" equipment, whether it be new or used. Can you tell me why I should or shouldnt buy commercial over homeowner? Example: a 48" mower. I could get a NEW riding lawn tractor for a grand, or with the same grand, i could get a USED 48" commercial w/b.
  2. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Residential equipment is designed and built to withstand 30ish cuts a year for several years. If it lasts 8 years that 240 cuts, not bad. But 240 cuts is only 8-10 weeks with a solo and 4-5 weeks with a crew, or less. Not a very good deal.

Doing some math with mowers you can easily see:
    $1200/240 = $5 per cut, and it's shot
    $4000/1500 = $2.67 per cut, add an engine, spindles, bearings, paint, decals, and maybe hydro system rebuild and you're good for another 1500 cuts for $2500. $6500/3000 = $2.16 per cut.

On handheld equipment it's even a bigger savings since residential equipment usually lasts about 40-80 hours of service which is about 100-200 cuts where as commercial equipment lasts for 1,000 cuts or more.
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

never buy a cheep hand held:cry: I learned that the hard way:cry: :cry:
  4. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

You should because you made it a rule.:laugh: Seriously, any residential equipment is not made to be used all day, every day, and be expected to last. It's gonna be worked harder, and you're probably gonna be worked hard, so in the long run is costs more.