equipment ruts+flood+neglect=help!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sano888, Nov 4, 2007.

1. sano888

sano888 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I've inherited taking over my in-laws 3+ acres (half wooded) since my father-in-law's passing a few years back and am glad to do it. My FIL could barely mow in his last few years but insisted on doing it and was the type not to let anyone work on his yard. It was not properly maintained (fertilizer, aerating, rolling, etc.) as he got older. Now when you mow you get bounced to death as the yard it quite uneven and bumpy, more so than simple rolling would fix. Also we've had equipment in to dredge the creek that runs through it as well as other heavy trucks which have left the yard with a number of ruts which have been patched but remain bumpy. We've also been flooded this summer which washed out a hill we had been filling in, but left the yard with deposits as well as gouges from the overflow of the creek.

All I can think of to do to smooth and level all this out is to till the yard and reseed. Is this the thing to do or are there other pieces of equiptment I can rent to fix this? We do have a small Kubota 7610 with a three point.

Thanks.

2. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Old mud and wheel ruts just will not go away,yes, use that Kubota to level
    the ground, you can probably rent a harrow for it if you don't have one already, and then level it. That Kubota is not a speed demon, but it will definetly do the job, and you will be much happier and comfortable mowing
    next season. For the slopes, make sure you contour harrow and level to
    control water damage, take your time and don't expect the Kubota to do
    all three acres in one day, and you should be satisfied by spring time.

3. sano888

sano888 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What kind of harrow? Disc? Drag? Something else? Do I need to be concerned about the sod? Will I need to reseed?

4. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Disc harrow would be better, just don't cut too deep, that alone should help
    with your sod question. Yes to reseed.

5. sano888

sano888 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks. I'll give it a try.