Equipment selection help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJDil, Jul 16, 2001.

1. MJDil

MJDil LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I amabout to purchase my first ZTR mower. I will be using the mower for my own property ( 12 Ac.)
    I have lokked at enough models to completely confuse myself. My choices are , in no particular order, Ferris Z1000 ($5999), Scag Tiger Cub 48"
    19 HP ($6200 ) , Exmark Lazer Z HP 48" 21HP (6599)
    Dixie Chooper 1901-50" 19HP ($5995). I alo , through a friend can get a Deere M653 (list 7500) for around $6800. It hasa larger cut, 54", and bigger engine, 23HP I think. Is the Deere at the reduced price my best value? I dont see much discussion on JDs here. Are there any obvious advantages to any one unit I am missing? Lastly since I am already overloaded any other models I should be considering? Any help would be appriciated.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

12 acres? Go bigger! Get something with a minimum 60" deck. Look at the Exmark Lazer (non hp), Dixie Chopper, Yazoo/Kees. You should be able to get one for under $7500, you might find the Yazoo/Kees ZTMax 61" cheaper.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Given your choices,Id go bigger,and if it were my money,It would be an Exmark Lazer Z 60 or 72",or a Dixie chopper 60" 23hp Kawi,or city slicker 25hp 72".12 acres is a lot of grass,and the upfront cost of the larger deck will be quickly offset by quicker mowing time,which means less wear on the mower,and on you.The larger wider ZTR's are much more stable than the 48-50"models.The 50" on a side hill is very twitchy,and unstable,the same hill on my 60" xw is a breeze.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. With 12 acres, go with at least a 60". If the property is relatively flat and you have no closely spaced trees (ie: <60" apart) definately go with a 72" machine. You would be surprised where you can fit a 72" deck! In the Lazer line, its only $500 more from 60-72". All of the machines that you listed are good machines. Go with a dealer that is well known for good service and that will be there in 20 years. These 60-72" class machines will be in the $7500 to $9000 range. Spend a little now and spend a LOT less time mowing!
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you might also check out the hustler , husquevarna,
    dane,and several others. i can personally recommend the exmark lazer. ive found it to be a solid the way i suspect you arnt planning on mowing the full 12 acres.
    ive got ten and i wouldnt even consider making it all yd.
  6. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Texton Bob-Cat 61" ZTR, less than $7000.
  7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You might consider getting a Scag sabre tooth tiger. I think the deck comes in a 72" size but I'm not certain. Doesn't really matter what brand you go with, just be sure to get a larger deck with 12 acres!