Equipment service life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gvandora, Aug 7, 2004.

1. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

I'm curious what sort of life span you get out of your equipment. Life span being the time period of usage before frequent downtime and constant repairs become a problem.

I realize it varies based on usage, type of crew, solo vs. employees, etc. but please respond if you can.

Item Seasons Hours
    ZTR Mower ? ?
    Walkbehind ? ?
    Trimmer ? ?
    Stick Edger ? ?
    Blower ? ?
    Chainsaw ? ?
    Hedge clippers ? ?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

hmm, i'm a solo operator.

ztr, 2000 lazer z hp 23 kawi, 975 trouble free hours.
    walkbehind, 2002 metro 36" 15 kohler, very trouble free.
    trimmer, stihl fs-80 2001-ish, rebuilt the carb over the winter because i was bored.
    stick edger, stihl fc-85, just change the blades regularly, 2002
    redmax eb7001, just bought this spring, runs awesome.
    chainsaw, 90's stihl 16" bar (can't remember the model 096?), only trouble i had was the exhaust screen got clogged (removed it)
    hedge trimmers, 2001-ish hs-80 used about 6 times, no trouble.

hope that helps some.

3. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

we have a 98 exmark 60 inch no trouble just just i belive 1800 hours, and 99 that just git 1200 hours no problem's... 2001 that just hit 1,000 hours and 2003 thats just hit 800 hours had to replace engine cuz its the track vac puller mower... the only problem is with whips but those are cheaper to replace :) exmark is wut we cut and all i will run except the button walker we have but we never use it

4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago I wrote the Preventative Maintenance software system for a county maintenance department. They used the model that when the maintenance costs on a piece of machinery equaled the original cost of the machine it was time to replace the machine. Their costs included everything from routine maintenance to major repairs. (Oil & filter changes to rebuilding engines and transmissions)