1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Shortage!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns By Randy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Lawns By Randy

Lawns By Randy LawnSite Member

I am new to this site but not to mowing I am 19 and have been in the mowing business for 5 years or more I started with a Lawn Boy pushing it to where I needed to get to I now have a double axle trailer and a 3/4 ton Ford Diesel and around 40 customers. my problem is all I have in the area of mowers is a Wright 36inch stander, I bought it in june of 2005 it had 275 it now has 400hrs with this many customers I am looking for another mower for the spring but it being winter cash is not readily available, I did find in the Bargain Post another 36inch Toro walk behind with a Velke for $1650 does anyone have any thoughts wheter this is a good thing or should I continue to look for something else??? HELP!:eek:
  2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

H6w big of lots will you be doing?
  3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I am sorry, I guess I missed it. Your title says equimpent storage, What is it you need help with?
  4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Never mind, I see it says sHortage, not storage, sorry read it wrong.
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Maybe a lesco 48'' w/b, only 2500 brand new, check out the site
  6. Lawns By Randy

about 30 town yards and around 20 commercial 6 of those Daycare centers and one or two apartments and a Wal-mart
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would save my money and finance a ZTR, the w/b isn't gonna do you much good when your stander breaks on monday and can't be fixed till next Monday. Then use the stander as a back up or whatever. A walkbehind isn't a good choice considering your work load, and im sure you plan on growing this year too. I would wait until the weather breaks and see if you can get financed on a new Lazer or something.
  8. Lawns By Randy

well instead of a rider would it be good to just purchase the Toro walk behind with the velke for 1650 its a 2003 and has been used by a resedential owner so I am guessing at the max being three years old it has around 150hrs on it whats your thoughts?
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

But the Toro is a 36" too, right? You already have a 36" and it's far from worn out at 400 hours. Get a bigger ztr. I know this is a bad word on here but look at Dixon. You could get a 44" or 50" ram model for MUCH less money than others. They DO hold up fine, contrary to what many on here will say. Plus they aren't built like, or as heavy as a sherman tank. That's a real plus when running over wet small lawns.
  10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I would be looking for a 44 - 52 midmount Z. This will be way more productive. What will you do w/ 2 36" wb's. I can't see supporting an employee at this point. W/ a compact Z you can probably cut your time by a third. Exmark has finance plans too or better yet find one w/ 6-700 hours for half the price.