Equipment sliding on trailer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by down to earth lawn, Aug 5, 2007.

1. down to earth lawn

down to earth lawn LawnSite Member

In Jan this year, I started using a 16ft trailer, replacing my old 12ft. I never strapped my 52' Exmark down and never had any problems with it moving. Since using the 16ft I have had trouble with the mower moving aroung on the trailer. With the dual axle and the heavier weight of the trailer I had assumed everything would ride better. Even my 36 stander and small push mower that is strapped donwn seem to move more now. Any ideas??

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I train myself by setting an empty 1-wheel wheelbarrow upright dead center in the trailer, unsecured, then I go for a drive.
    If it moves, I lose.
    If it tips over, I'm fired.

For this to work, a light foot on the throttle, 6-8 seconds distance from the car in front, and let off the gas early and coast to a stop.

Today none of my stuff ever moves, all I do is set the parking brake, I've even forgotten to do that and sometimes it doesn't even move then, other times it moves a little... But the days of a machine slamming into the front or the back of my trailer are long gone, straps or not I got tired of it, all it takes is one time I'd forget to strap it down, no more of that for me.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Put everything in its place on the trailer. Then screw 2x4s to the floor where the back tires are. With the brakes set and the tires blocked like this it should be ok. And a 2x4 is no problem to go over for the mower.

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

blocking infront and back of drive wheels will definitly help.

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

not really sure why you dont strap down?? I thow a strap on every piece of my equiment..

6. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Considering it's the law in most states to have all equipment secured/strapped down to the trailer I'd suggest doing that. I have heard other guys in my area say they got hefty fines from DOT inspections on the highway for not being strapped down. I recently bought some Fastraps for my equipment, and they are awesome. All you do is drive into the 2 chocks that mount on the trailer deck, put straps over back wheels, and flip the latch down. Takes no more then 10 seconds and your Dot compliant.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

This is exactly what I did. Works like a charm!:laugh:

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Tie downs around the casters attached to the side railings on the trailer.

Always make sure things are secure from the mowers to the catchers to the blowers.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

why any one would not strap down their $8,000 mower is beyond me....Prevent damage to the equipment and possible to others on the road.

You can never plan for the big accident when they happen, you just need to be ready.

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

If anything should happen and the equipment comes off the trailer, you will get life up the river.

Tie it down.

If DOT spots you it will be big time fines. It needs to be tied down in front and back = 4 point on the trailer.

Tie it down.

Tim