1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

equipment stolen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mlc gmc03, May 11, 2004.

1. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

today we had a echo pb 60ht backpack stolen off one of the trucks and for the unlucky guy that stole it i saw him drive off and kno exactly who he is, i have seen him around the truck before and the guys have chased him off and yes i know its only one backpack and not the end of the world but this guy better stay more than clear of my trucks trailers and equipment of theres gonna be the imprint of a baseball bat across his head. I am not gonna name names of this guy but he has been known to make some 5 finger discounts around the area before and its gonna stop.
  2. POBOY

POBOY LawnSite Member

It's hard to use the 5 finger discount if they are all broken..(OR SMASHED!!)
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

At least it wasn't your who truck and trailer. I almost had my trailer stole and it was attachet to trucked. Thank god my buddy was coming down the street and scared the two mexicans off. He had an edger stolen out of his truck. The cops caught the guy 4 months later with 20 pieces of stolen equipment. There were 20 very happy landscapers when they got their stuff back.

Might i suggest a bigger bat and several of them. One for each employee. That would be one big @ss beating.
  4. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dont understand anyone who does not invest in a Covered trailer and master locks and keep ALL of their equipment in the COVERED trailer along with hitch locks on the trailer and lock your damn truck doors
  5. JBird

JBird LawnSite Member

I came around the corner of a house yesterday while trimming to see a truck with two black guys and and black girl in it parked out front eyeing up my trailer.so I just watched them for a second. The one guy jumps out and starts for my trailer well, I came out from round that corner at a steady pace with the trimmer going wide open. His buddy started laughing at him and he jumped back in the truck and took off. Just peevs me that people don't respect your stuff. Maybe they should try working as hard as we do to get it and then let someone rip them off. Either that or cut of the hand that betrayed them...
  6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

First Class-

You have a hard time understanding it may not be economics that drives trailer purchases?

Some folks don't have space for more than one trailer, and the open trailer doubles as a debris hauler when mulch season comes around.

A good dog could cut down on theft.

Here's how silly it sounds.

I can't undferstand why any of you need enclosed trailers, a quality step van and ramp gate gets you tons of secure storage and no trailer to drag.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Gee Vee,

right again. I almost bought an enclosed trailer. What a mistake that wouldhave been. So far this season, clean ups have been over half of my income. I could never do that with an enclose trailer.

I got ripped off this year. 1 stihl edger, 2 stihl weedeaters, I stihl bar trimmer, 1 echo chainsaw, various pieces of construction power tools. My house is near a lot that got cleared and the guys must have seen my equipment. Broke in to the house when I wasn't home and made off with all that. Thankfully I had some of my other equipment with me and they couldn't carry a 36" mower.

It sucks and insurance wouldn't cover it. Good luck for the police finding anything. But it is part of the game
  8. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

How would you recognize your equipment if you got it back?
    the stickers with the serial no. on our shindaiwa trimmer is all torn-up so we can't read it any it seems any thief would remove those right off.
  9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

And people get all bent out of shape when you drop one of these thieves where they stand all you will hear is the loud crack, then night night!
  10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

More than 1 # on a Shind.