Equipment Storage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 3, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of starting up a lawn maintenance business. I live in a subdivision that does not allow parking of commercial vehicles overnight. So, I am planning on using a magnetic sign on the truck and parking the trailer in the garage each night. My question is: where do you park your equipment overnight and during the off season?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

My property is deemed rural residential and sits on two acres. No problem with two commercial trucks and trailers parked there.

As for you, even if you pull off the magnetic signs you will still have commerical plates so technically you are in violation. It really depends whether or not your neighbors are going to make a stink about it or not.

3. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

find the cheapest cold storage you can. if you need to do maint. bring it home

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just use a large storage building I have on my property and garage.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This is about all you can do or find a garage to rent. We rent a 10x25 storage building with 2 garage doors and split it with another lawn care company. We store the trailers at a friends property. We are paying about 130.00/mo and garages around here go for 500.00/mo and up.

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of a truck is it? Pickup? If its just a pickup and you can remove the signs, most people dont even know what a commercial plate is and probably wont take a second look. Now the equipment is another story.

7. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a kinda rural area as well, so I usually bring my equipment home. However, I have a friend with a land clearing business and he has a 3 acre property that he uses as an equipment yard. He lets me use a shed and enough space to park three trailers there, and I pay nothing for it. I jsut do my share to keep the yard clean, graded out and weeds down to a minimum.

8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

The vehicle is a pickup truck. Here in Virginia there is a pickup truck plate regardless of its use. What the HOA doesn't allow is the signage on any vehicle.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

So your good to go with magnetic signs.Again, your equipment and trailer will be your problem.Its not so much of a problem with the trailer in the garage as it is with coming and going everday.Look into a self storage place, I heard there pretty affordable and secure. Another option is to look into larger landscape companies with large storage yards, they might be willing to give you a sliver to park your trailer and equipment to help off set their rent a $100 or so a month. I have two tennants now with just trailers to park and they help off set my rent by $300 a month. Just an idea?

10. mohopper

mohopper LawnSite Member

Here's my gig. There is a boat dealership in my town about a mile from the house, that also has secure, well lit, 24 hour access storage. I offered to take care of the grass in exchange for storing my rig there. He jumped all over it. Cut it maybe 3 times a month, at 40 minutes a pop. Sweet for me.